Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #21

When I was looking at my 2006 van to purchase used, I noticed during inspection that the rear corners of the roof were rusted out, I had the guy drop a bunch off the price and had it fixed by a shop right away. They ended up buying the rear half section of a refurbished e350 top, cutting the corners out, and welding them into mine. The shop ended up having to take the penthouse seal off the top of the van for them to do the job. During the fixes, they noticed a couple cracks uptop under where the penthouse seal hid, and i had them weld those too. I'd imagine a lot of folks have these cracks up top too. They painted to match the van and you can't see a thing. It was not cheap. But the cancer is gone.

The thought is that the van had moisture build up under the pentouse top, and the moisture runs it way to the back of the van as it is sloped back a bit. it sat and sat ... The back of the van is the normal place for water to run off the gutter rails.

Recently I had the windshield replaced and noticed some rust under the seal around the windsheild, keep an eye out for that too!!

Chris

Old 03-27-2017, 12:27 PM   #22

more leaks

seems like a lot of rusty gutters/roofs out there... not sure if this the best place to post this as there are many threads that deal with leaks/penthouse repair etc....

also i'm really not sure WHERE the water is getting in my van... which is a 1987 e-250 that i've been working on for 3 years...

here are a number of pictures and if anyone might be able to help me diagnose the water entry location that would be awesome....

basically i have:

1) a drip above the drivers side door in the middle right under where there is a metal seam... how does one get the water to stop dripping from that seam?

2) the 4 inside corners of the penthouse get damp when it rains...i don't see any moisture from the canvas above or coming from the penthouse roof.... is this coming in between the penthouse seal and the van seal? or poolin above the penthouse seal?

3) the third spot (you can see rust from when previous owner had it) is in the "cavity" right above where the back doors open....i can feel standing water if i put my fingers in the hole...then it is moving to the "low" point and coming out a place where the metal connects....

if anyone has any thoughts/solutions for any of these spots i would be VERY appreciative....cheers - choochee
Attached Thumbnails
LEAK 5.jpg   064.jpg   LEAK 2.jpg   LEAK 4.jpg  
choochee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:17 AM   #23

You can buy mastic butyl in caulking style tubes. I used it for my top swap.

Set it out in a hot sun for a few hours then add a good size exterior bead for a foot on either side of your leaking top. It will flow and settle down a bit. Let it set and then test it.

Otherwise pull the corner of the canvas up and redo it with the same butyl. More work, but more guaranteed to stop the water.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 03-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #24

Thanks for your reply.... Where exactly would you apply the butyl???
Old 03-28-2017, 10:16 AM   #25

Also where do you think the water is getting in? above the penthouse seal? below it? thanks again
Old 03-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #26

Put a bead along the bottom at the sheet metal for 24" and let it set up. Test. Move higher as needed.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 03-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #27

10-4....I'll do it and let you know...Unfortunately I'm in Vermont and we won't see any warms temps for sometime i suspect.... are there any "cold"weather applications? thanks
Old 03-28-2017, 01:08 PM   #28

I've done the job a couple times. You need this stuff:

Mobile Home/RV Black Butyl Tape 3/4" x 30' for Windows, Doors, Roof Sealant | eBay

I'm sure the tubes as Pntyrmvr suggested are the same but I thought this was easier to work with. It's what SMB uses.

Pull your upholstery back from the inside of the top with top raised and you will see 1" furring strips around the inside screwed every inch or so. Pull all screws and strips which are probably rotten to pieces. You'll see the flat butyl tape underneath. You just need to remove everything you can, lay in new tape, furring strips (any 1/4" ply will work) and reinstall. The furring strips will squash the canvas into the butyl and form a seal. I have not heard of one leaking like yours does. Even with rotten wood they usually stay mostly dry. You could do this job in a day, no problem. There is no need to mess with the lifting mechanism of the top at all. Raise it, replace everything I listed, reinstall. You may need to pull the top down just a bit to give your canvas some relief when reinstalling strips to get a good compressed seal.

This is a messy job. Try to keep the butyl gunk (mostly from the old tape) off your canvas and upholstery. It likes to stay on what it gets on.

As for the drip at the rear center of raingutter Twogone had the same problem and solved it ingeniously. Get a roll of gaffer's tape (or any other comparable tape but it has the right texture/thickness/etc.) and run a strip across the back of the rain gutter above the doors. Fold it perfectly where it creates a sweep that the doors go right under when closed, but the tape stays in place, catching water and it then drips off the edge of the tape. I'm probably not doing a good job of explaining this. Maybe he can help.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #29

I figured I should post an update. I finally removed all the protective tape from the roof. There is another spot (passenger side) that is extremely rusted out as well. Very similar to the pictures I posted on page 2. If you see any bubbles under your tape you probably have moisture trapped there. I guess that tape is definitely not a lifetime solution. Looks like there are more repairs in my future.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
I finally removed all the protective tape from the roof.
How did you get the tape unstuck from your roof? That adhesive is pretty strong.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote