Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #1

Rusty drip rail

Okay guys just got this van. About to address the drip rail rust problem. Not even sure where to start. Any help would be appreciated. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181027_125741.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	23569Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181027_125735.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	23570Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181027_125723.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	23571Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181027_125633.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	23572Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181027_125621.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	23573Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181027_125701.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	23574

KyleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:06 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
What year is this van----how elaborate is the interior build out so far? Any leaking water to the interior especially near the windshield or in the foot wells in front of the driver/passenger seats?

The rust showing so far does need addressed if you plan on keeping this one---most noticeable and of higher concern is the rust showing just below the drip edge at the front near the upper right corner of the windshield. That is a known issue with E-Series vans---the welded seam can and does open up over time. Water can leak into the cabin completely unnoticed for quite a long time.

If that area is open repairing it would require the windshield be removed to do the job correctly.

The other areas where rust is showing have been addressed by a few members here already and I'm sure they'll contribute here soon.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:15 AM   #3

Yeah I did some research on the top area by the windshield and actually had the windshield replaced Friday. I stressed that if that area was leaking after the new windsheild and they didn't properly seal that corner, they would be replacing the windshield again! So hope that helped.

We are thinking of bringing it to get the driprail and roof rhino lined, what's your thoughts on that?
Old 10-28-2018, 07:55 AM   #4

Garage
People have rhino lined their roofs and gutters.

Whatever you do, you need to take care of the rust first. How much needs to be done for the rust depends on how bad it is rusted. Just surface rust? Rusted through? Your outer drip rail looks like it will have some holes when you remove the rust. Some of the repair of that will be aesthetics if it isn't rusted through the roof. You can't always tell how bad it is until the rust is removed.

Minimum is to grind/sand off rust (remove all rust if possible), treat with converter/inhibitor, prime, paint/seal. Might have to repair holes caused by rust.

The search function works well. Here are a few threads for information:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ler-16144.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ust-19901.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...oof-18699.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ters-8875.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ers-18780.html
Old 10-28-2018, 09:11 AM   #5

Great info from Marret above. As you can see, you aren't the first. I have completely rebuilt badly rusted gutters on my first SMB 'Rusty'. You can see pics of the rebuild deep in the annals of my Rusty build. Probably in my gallery too towards the oldest stuff. By the time you wander through all of the great threads above, though, you'll probably need a nap.

Short answer, fix it now and get it sealed with something. After proper prep I'd personally recommend Rhino/Raptor line up there. I've used Vulkem too to fill gutters.

Welcome to the addiction!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:52 AM   #6

Yeah I'll have to dig into it a Tapatalk keeps bringing me back to the main thread when I click the links. I guess I'll have to log on the computer. I think I have one somewhere.....
Old 10-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #7

Garage
You should be able to log on with a browser instead of tapatalk, even on a phone.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:02 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleC View Post
Yeah I did some research on the top area by the windshield and actually had the windshield replaced Friday. I stressed that if that area was leaking after the new windsheild and they didn't properly seal that corner, they would be replacing the windshield again! So hope that helped.
Replacing the windshield regardless how many times does not address whether the body joint in that area has not cracked or split apart. If it has then in short time even a brand new windshield installed perfectly will leak.

Not saying your's is but its good to check and make sure.

FWIW I'm in the auto/truck glass biz, a former body shop owner so have just a bit of knowledge about these issues.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:23 AM   #9

Great to have that wealth of knowledge on a forum. I was not here when he did the windshield unfortunately. I spoke to the installer and made sure he was aware of the body joint problem. So hopefully he sealed it well. Not sure what else to do at this point.

As for the drip rail, am I going to have to dig all that white gunk out of the rail prior to sending the Rusty areas?
Old 10-29-2018, 09:50 AM   #10

Garage
I think it depends on if the rust extends under the white gunk. If it does, yes.