Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #1

Side Door Swing Limit Bar Problem

We recently had some work done on our 2001 Ford van and the tech popped out the bar on the side door so that the door would swing out further. No problem but he didn't reattach it when he was done. I'm not sure what the parts are called but when you open the side door, there is a bar which retracts into the door when closed and which limits its swing. Because of a detent in the bar, this bar also holds the door in the wide open position. This bar hooks onto a pin on the door jam and is held in place by a spring retainer clip:

(The "white" on the bar is just sunlight.)

I'm not sure where the tip of the retainer clip is supposed to go. I first put it on the door side of the pin but the bar pops out when opened. I'm guessing that it is supposed to rest on the bar on the jam side of the pin. OTOH, maybe it rests adjacent the rounded end of the bar with part of the clip resting on top of the bar. That seems more logical. But I'd rather know exactly how to reset it rather than have the bar continually pop off while on a trip. (The retainer looks bent but I'm assuming that I can remove it and rebend it to work...Ford parts couldn't find it as a single replacement part which isn't surprising.)

Can someone check their van and explain how this retainer works?

Old 08-19-2009, 07:03 PM   #2

Re: Side Door Swing Limit Bar Problem

They are the same as your back doors.....

spurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #3

That was my first thing to check but, unless I totally missed it, our van doesn't have stops on the rear door. (I can't check it right now since my wife is out driving the van.)
Old 08-19-2009, 11:12 PM   #4

Thanks...and I am going senile....I do have one on the back door. It is back enough becoming senile, it is really bad to have proof.