Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #1

Speedometer Adjustment

Hi All,

I have searched the site on this topic but cannot seem to find the final conclusion. I have found many posts about the tuner not being able to adjust the speedometer for tire size change.

Is there a way to change the speedo? If so, how can I change the speedo to adjust for a tire size change?

Thanks,
Eric

Eric D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:00 AM   #2

Speedo calibration is done through the ABS module, not the PCM or TCM so custom tuning via an SCT tuner or the like won't work. The only way to correct your speedometer for tire size is through the dealership or by purchasing a Hypertec Speedometer Calibrator . Hypertech
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:09 AM   #3

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Eric
Old 01-01-2018, 09:45 AM   #4

Or, you could re-gear.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:05 PM   #5

speedo

Hello Eric D

If you live in Ca(which I see you do) you can't get the Hypertech speedometer Calibrator. Ca. EPA.BS!!! Unless you know somebody out of state you could ship it to them and then work it out. $229.00 online. I've tried every option I could think of,no luck. Ford dealerships can only handle up to 29 inches. Unless somebody out there knows something better than changing gear ratio-NOT. I live in Southern Ca to.
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #6

Will the same device work for all years of Vans?

I have an address out of state that I can use. I can then get the item forwarded to me. If there are a few of us in So Cal that want to go in on this together it could save us money and we could pass it around as needed. Is anyone interested in going in on it with me?

Thanks
Eric
Old 01-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #7

speedo

Hello Eric D

Can't do that either. Once you calibrate for one vehicle it won't work on another. Thought of that myself,was gonna get it with a friend who has a SMB also.

PS- Will work on 96 and later.
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty Boy View Post
Hello Eric D

If you live in Ca(which I see you do) you can't get the Hypertech speedometer Calibrator. Ca. EPA.BS!!! Unless you know somebody out of state you could ship it to them and then work it out. $229.00 online. I've tried every option I could think of,no luck. Ford dealerships can only handle up to 29 inches. Unless somebody out there knows something better than changing gear ratio-NOT. I live in Southern Ca to.
I'm not sure this is correct? I was under the impression that SMB West had a nearby Ford dealership adjust the speedo on vans they sourced directly from Ford and then converted to 4x4 with 33" tires. I'm the 3rd owner of my rig but my speedo was correct for 285/75R16 tires and that's definitely not stock.

Largest tire size stock is 245/75R16 which is what I assume was on the vans shipped to SMB. Usually with the towing package. That's a 29 or 30" tire so SMB had to be adjusting the speedo somehow. Not trying to argue. Kinda curious myself.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:20 PM   #9

WRT any issues getting a signal translator in CA, Summit Racing shipped me a Dakota Digital SGI-5E a year and a half ago.

I don't see why they would in any way fall under CARB or anything else CA specific either, perhaps that unit's not ROHOS compliant or something?

I'm a little surprised that there isn't some end user access to software for Ford vehicles. Looking on ebay there are some slightly fishy looking IDS vmware images. -- That might be worth a try, though obviously a little risky.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:33 AM   #10
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Depending on your desire/ability to delve deeply into Ford's PCM strategies perhaps look into AutoEnginuity accompanied with their Ford-specific bundle: https://www.autoenginuity.com/produc...l-bundle-sp03/

I'm seriously considering buying this set-up for myself but living in Columbus, Ohio not really helpful to most here.

Worth a look as IMHO the price for such a powerful tool isn't outrageous, not especially when somewhat less sophisticated multi-vehicle scanners cost close to the selling price of AutoEnginuity's offering. Things like speedometer calibration without all the dealership BS seems to be a huge plus for such a system.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote