Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #1

Spring time- simple projects

We are now approaching the dead of winter (for the northeast, at least). As a distraction to while away the cold and dark evenings, I am planning some of my first projects for the spring. First will be the balance of the cleanup of the gunky, greasy food residue (former catering van) still left in corners and other areas (see pic). Will be using something to cut the grease (still deciding what would be best) along with a McCullough MC1275 steam cleaner to help melt and dissolve to scrub and flush it away.

Once I have the grease and filth out, I will wire brush the rusty parts (see pic) and arrest the rust with Eastwood rust encapsulator. After research, I felt that for the limited rust here, encapsulator would be a better choice than rust converter. Van is silver, so I will probably hand brush paint over the black rust encapsulator with simple aluminum (silver) Rustoleum. Once the cargo area floor is addressed, I will be installing some matting (current thought is contoured BedRug).

With the cargo area floor basics done, I will be installing the Freedman flip and fold 2 place seat behind the driver's seat. Probably be installing one lap belt on the outside, and one 3 point shoulder / lap belt against the wall. For the times we have passengers in the flip seat, it would be nice to add a window during the spring / summer. A small window behind the driver's seat will also improve my driving visibility. Thinking of a flat CRL 16.75" x 21.25" VW8604. Still need to do more research and get info on screens, and determine whether the 1.5" or reversible 2.25" trim ring would be the better. Going to cut the opening with drill and jigsaw, and need to determine the best saw blade (bimetal / TPI..?)

I am researching online (finding info here and on Youtube). Wondering how much info might be buried here that I have not yet found. If not that much, thinking of documenting the project and putting up a thread on it. Anyone have any thought / feedback / suggestions?

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #2

Those are lovely pics.

I've had the pleasure of cleaning out what could only have been kid puke on two occasions with vans I've bought. There's a smell I have noticed that I can never forget now. I can smell it in other people's cars. It doesn't smell like puke. It's years old, dried puke that has seeped into the cracks and been through a million heat cycles. I know, someone who reads this is probably puking just from reading. Anyway, for me, everything must be tossed. I'm going down to bare metal where that was. You're spot on with degreaser and a steam cleaner. The carpet, seats, whatever have to be tossed for me. As for the rust fix I've had great results with POR15 lately.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #3

Barf!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #4

Step 1.. disfunkify

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Those are lovely pics. .....
The carpet, seats, whatever have to be tossed for me.
Lovely is one word I could use..

Behind the drivers seat in the cargo area was a 3 passenger fixed bench. I salvaged the seatbelts by soaking them in a bucket of water, detergent, vinegar and baking soda for a day or two before scrubbing them. I swear I could have boiled them and made soup. I decided that the bench seat itself would have to go, partly because it was likely not really salvageable, but also because the flip and fold gave me more versatility. This is a multi-use vehicle, and I want to be able to carry cargo when needed.

Although the vast majority of the spillage was in the cargo area in the back, I thought I could also take up the vinyl matting in the cab, but that appears to be glued down. Will at least take up the edges, as that is where most of the spillage got underneath The van originally smelled pretty 'aromatic', but the first pass (after more than 90% of the organic material has been removed)
reduced the smell by 80-90%. With a more complete cleaning of what is left (including the pics I just posted earlier today), I think I can reduce the funk by >99.x% total. That should be tolerable, but Mrs. Rex will be the one who makes the ultimate determination. (If she is happy, we is happy.. )

Old 01-15-2017, 01:32 PM   #5

In for a Dime, in for aa Dollar..

The more I peel back, the more I am finding. I decided to also pull up the front mat, and I'm glad I did. I found the start of more rust on the passenger's side.

Lots more crap that needs to be cleaned out, before the Board of Health cites my van and condemns it under the rules of Imminent Ptomaine..

In the process of pulling up the front matting, I decided that the padding underneath will have to go. Also, the hardware (not really that hard) took a beating as it is soft crappy plastic, so I will want to figure something out for more durable fasteners. Maybe I will keep the plastic 'spreaders' and replace the very strippable screws with metal (something larger, with a more coarse thread)

Old 01-15-2017, 03:18 PM   #6

Man, you're going to love this after all the funk is gone.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Man, you're going to love this after all the funk is gone.
I will be pleased, but at the end of the day, the cleanup and disfunkification is more for She-rex. If she is happy, we is happy. If the van stinks (or worse, attracts bugs or mice), she won't go on many adventures with me! I will admit that nipping the rust in the bud is more for me than for her. :-)