Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2016, 01:11 PM   #1

Stubborn lug nut

Yesterday, I was trying to remove a rear wheel from my 2012 E-350 Wagon. The van is not yet converted and the two rear bench seats are gone, so not a particularly heavy van compared to SMBs.

I was using the stock lug nut wrench and following the procedure in the owners manual.
  1. Loosen lug nuts 1/2 turn
  2. Then jack up van and remove lug nuts
Step 1 was uneventful, but during Step 2 when I was removing the lug nuts one of them moved a bit more then started getting very, very tight. All other nuts came off fine.

I resisted the temptation to keep trying to remove the stubborn nut with more force or applying any stuck bolt penetrant. There were no visible signs on the stud threads of it having been cross threaded, nor did the nut look cockeyed.

What's more likely; that I caused the binding using the stock lug nut wrench or that the nut/stud was possibly damaged (over torqued ?) by the dealer? I have never touched the wheels since buying the van used (2013 with 10K miles) and my local Ford dealers has rotated or replaced tires at least 4 times.

I have an appointment with the dealer on Friday and was wondering if I should be asking them to fix it without charge.

I am also tempted to verify torque on some nuts (perhaps all) on the other wheels. Probably using methods 2 or 3 described here. I'll need to source a properly sized (7/8" by my measurement) deep socket, but that's probably a good investment anyway.

I also am tempted to keep trying to remove the nut myself. I know broken studs can be replaced. I watched some youtube videos of folks punching them out with a heavy hammer without removing hub. Is that practical on the stock axle, Dana 60 semi-float.

Thoughts or comments welcome.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #2

The dealer will snivel their way out of taking any responsibility so have at it. If it breaks you can learn how to pull an axle and put a new one in.

Buy a quality torque wrench for that 7/8" socket. Get the factory spec for a semi float and tighten it up as per factory specs. Then check them again in a few days.

In fact buy the torque wrench and have the dealer give you the spec. Then try pulling all the other 24 lugs off in front of the service manager. See what torque was used and let him snivel about corrosion, dust, flies, and any other excuse he can dream up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #3

I had two studs snap off on one of the semi floater axles when we were switching it out for the FF. I was really surprised as the lugs/studs had not been touched since America's Tire had installed the new rims/tires, perhaps 5.000 miles. I watched them torque the lugs but did not see what they used for a torque setting.

These were aftermarket rims and Gorilla chrome lugs, so this may be different than what you are dealing with Joe.

The studs snapped off just above the base of the lug nut. I do not know why they snapped.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
The dealer will snivel their way out of taking any responsibility so have at it. If it breaks you can learn how to pull an axle and put a new one in.

Buy a quality torque wrench for that 7/8" socket. Get the factory spec for a semi float and tighten it up as per factory specs. Then check them again in a few days.

In fact buy the torque wrench and have the dealer give you the spec. Then try pulling all the other 24 lugs off in front of the service manager. See what torque was used and let him snivel about corrosion, dust, flies, and any other excuse he can dream up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I already have a 1/2" drive torque wrench and the lug nut torque spec is 150 ft-lbs.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
I had two studs snap off on one of the semi floater axles when we were switching it out for the FF. I was really surprised as the lugs/studs had not been touched since America's Tire had installed the new rims/tires, perhaps 5.000 miles. I watched them torque the lugs but did not see what they used for a torque setting.

These were aftermarket rims and Gorilla chrome lugs, so this may be different than what you are dealing with Joe.

The studs snapped off just above the base of the lug nut. I do not know why they snapped.
I don't suppose you saw what was involved in replacing the broken studs?
Old 09-28-2016, 01:41 PM   #6

Couple potential causes, both of which I've run into.. Both involve replacing the stud. It's cheap and easy.

1. I had a brake caliper fall off in Baja, had to do some custom repairs on the beach. Got a few grains of sand in one lugnut putting it back together, had to break the stud to get it off. So any small dirt, sand, etc in there can cause problems.

2. When the kid rotating the tires used the impact wrench, he didn't thread them on by hand, then use impact wrench, he just started the threads with the impact wrench and got it a bit crossed up.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Couple potential causes, both of which I've run into.. Both involve replacing the stud. It's cheap and easy.
Can stud be removed / replaced without removing hub or axle? Videos I seen show studs being punched out with hammer with hub in place.

I've also seen videos of how to pull the new stud into place.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Can stud be removed / replaced without removing hub or axle? Videos I seen show studs being punched out with hammer with hub in place.

I've also seen videos of how to pull the new stud into place.
On a semi-floater you don't need to remove axle or hub. I don't know on full-floater, both my previous issues happened on my old van, now I'm more careful!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
On a semi-floater you don't need to remove axle or hub. I don't know on full-floater, both my previous issues happened on my old can, now I'm more careful!
Thanks. I've got a semi-floater. Getting the confidence to give it a go.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #10

Garage
I'm still reading through the thread and trying to understand the "final description" of what happened with that stubborn lug nut. You said it became very, very tight.....

Is there any "movement still happening" where you can turn that lug nut (on its threads) in/out a little bit....or is it totally frozen in place on that stud?

Curious if you can see (while turning that stubborn nut) if the stud is actually turning with it.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote