Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #11

Re: Suspension/lift

I can do that, wont be as easy as when I worked for Eibach, no shop and no spring tester. I have the factory spring codes off of the springs although I am also aware that these tags and there information seem somewhat mysterious to everyone in determining what the spring actually is.

I know that my loaded height is roughly 12.5" with an assumed rate of approximately 332 lbs/in based on the latest Ford body build report. The front GAWR (as printed on the door tag is 3800 lbs) I have seen where guys are using a 5000 lb spring and do not want to ramp up the spring rate to point that its uncomfortable. I also know from my calculations that there is a slight motion ratio between spring and wheel .75:1

My spring tag is as follows NV 3C24-5310-NA If i remember correctly "5310" is a generic test load for almost all Ford springs.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:16 AM   #12

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Here are some spring options:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Front Springs.pdf (6.0 KB, 204 views)

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #13

Thanks, that'll be a huge help.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #14

So, I ordered the Maxx-Lift kit last night and should have it in a day or two, my concerns now after talking with a couple of alignment shops is that it is quiet possible that I may not be able to achieve a proper alignment. As two shops indicated, sometimes the the knuckle will make contact with the beam after the cam has been installed and that the knuckle needs to be ground down.

As near as I can tell I will pick up almost 2.5 degrees of positive camber.

Has anyone that has installed the Maxx Lift 2" spacer had any issue (other than a ridiculous price for alignment) getting the proper setting?
Old 04-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #15

Also I am aware of the Specialty Products alignment kits as this is where I am told the potential contact problem comes from and not just installing the lift spacer.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #16

Sounds like you may have read through my posts regarding the MAXX-LIFT install. I had none on the problems you mention.

Seems like a lot of the shops out there think a 2" puck is way higher than it really is. The shop I had my alignment done at said the alignment was more or less cake... aside from some seized parts that took a little extra effort. Granted they could have lied about the whole process and my alignment is way f'd, but... who knows

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarvan
As near as I can tell I will pick up almost 2.5 degrees of positive camber.

Has anyone that has installed the Maxx Lift 2" spacer had any issue (other than a ridiculous price for alignment) getting the proper setting?
You should be fine with out their concerns. Find a small local shop. My alignment was well under $100 if I remember. I just got a set of tires for my DD and they charged me $50 to align my truck.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #18

Yeah, I can't imagine having to terrible a time with it. I was in the suspension biz for over a decade and saw very few problems but most of my experience was in NASCAR and other forms of racing, not too much with the lift market.

I just can't believe what some of these guys are charging. A local chain tire store here wanted 80 for the alignment, 110 per side in labor to install the cam plug and 45 each for the cam. He was not happy with me when i said that SPC call out .5 of an hour per side for install and I can get cam plug locally for 14 dollars.

I have a small camber gauge that I used to calculate the perceived camber change and it shows +2.5 so I might just by that install it myself and run it over to a shop

Thanks guys, like you said I need to find a nice local guy who wants make a hundred bucks.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBrian
My alignment was well under $100 if I remember.
What I should have said was well under $100 for the camber bushing install and the alignment. I purchased the camber bushings before I went and carried them with me.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #20

Well, this past Saturday I installed my MAXX-Lift 2" leveling kit and thought I would share a couple of things with you. First off, the job was very simple to do provided you are a moderate home mechanic and good with a set of hand tools.

One thing I will stress is document everything and start by recording you initial ride height and camber settings. I say this more so from the side of alignment as I was quoted RIDICULOUS pricing (as I believe I indicated in this thread). I had remembered that I had a grassroots type camber gauge that I got from a company called Ingalls almost ten years ago and with that fabricated a suitable camber gauge aparatus for the purpose of this install from a flat screen TV mount and few cents worth of carriage bolts and nuts.

By simply recording the camber settings before and after, I was able to go to a local parts store (O'Riellly) and by the same kind and brand of camber adjuster that 95% of all alignment shops are going to use. My cost, $13.99 ea, not $45.00 each like the Alignment shops were quoting. Incidentally, with the wheel off it takes less than 15 minutes to remove and install the adjuster, most shops are charging hour labor per side just to install the adjuster. The vehicle still needs to go to the alignment shop for toe and caster adjustments but now its less that a hundred bucks and not $370 as one shop quoted.

Word to the wise if you've never done suspension work and have any reservation about it, don't do it. Any time you are working with coil springs they are under EXTREME LOAD and cause serious injury and or DEATH! PLEASE REFER TO SOMEONE QUALIFIED IN THIS FIELD.

A couple of things that i saw on the internet did not sit well with me regarding some of the methods by which the MAXX Lift was installed especially if you have to replace the factory bolt that captures the I beam, Radius arm and spring plate. USE GRADE 8 HARDWARE. Maxx lift supplies an extension nut for the spring plate and also serves as a locator for the "puck" or spacer. I had seen it was being used as the nut to secure the assembly together with a few stacked washers to make up the necessary height. Personally I would not do this as there is no mention any where of the material that this extension is made from. Remember this the front suspension of your vehicle that you are intrusting these parts too. As you will see in the photograph (use the link to my gallery below) I installed the bolt (3/4-10 x 8") SAE washer through the bottom of the assembly, another SAE washer and a "C' nut (locking nut), I don't recommend Nyloc as I have had them loosen up in the past and they are too tall for this setup. Torque everything down and then install the exstension nut with Blue Loctite. Once the puck is installed its all flush.

Now I don't care for the fact that you have to reuse the lower spring cup to captivate the spring as with this setup you wind up with about a half inch gap between the spring and the cap. Ford use to use on the F serise a washer or Belville washer to captivate the spring and this is more appropriate. I may switch out at a later date if I can find the washer. Once the spring is installed the spring cup, lock washer and nut can be installed. Everything is nice and tidy and secure.

The final number on lift 2.125 L/F and 2.00 R/F I had +.75deg and 0 deg left and right when I started and now with a 2.25 deg and 3.00 deg cam I have -.50 and 0 camber. Be very careful when getting into 2.25 degress and above as in some case the knuckle can contact the I beam and bind always check for clearance when steering through lock to lock.

Hope this helps

http://sportsmobileforum.com/gallery...p?album_id=691