Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #11

I have the swing out windows in the rear but don't use them when driving. It's just nice to have a little cross ventilation at night when camping.

Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #12

Re: Swing Out Rear Windows Ford Van?

FYI, I have factory swing out windows on both the side and rear of my "95" RB Sportsmobile. Really nice at certain times of the year. I only open them when I am stopped, and never when running the engine or generator. They seal up tighter than Dicks hatband, but when open watch out for the skeeters. Good luck on your find.
bobbyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #13

I have dual swing out window on rear and one on the side. I like them. I leave one rear on open at all times. It is on the opposite side from the exhaust and I have not noticed exhaust fumes but I may stop doing this.

The biggest advantage to me is leaving one rear wing out window open when parked along with one swing out side, and cracking the driver and passenger windows. That way, there is almost always a cross breeze to keep the temps down. With 102 avg. highs, the van will cook without some way out for the hot air.

The tilt outs also keep the rain out mostly

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #14

bobbyv - I have a good friend that always says "tighter then Dick's hatband" and when I ask him who Dick is, he doesn't have any idea where the saying came from. Can you shed any light on the subject???

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:15 AM   #15

Hey scatter, you know I never thought about the phrase much other than using it occasionally. I had an old friend who used to say it among many other colorful things. I did a google search on it this morning and found several interesting theories about it's origin. I especially liked the one under "Mark my words". Have a good one
bobbyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyv
FYI, I have factory swing out windows on both the side and rear of my "95" RB Sportsmobile. Really nice at certain times of the year. I only open them when I am stopped, and never when running the engine or generator. They seal up tighter than Dicks hatband, but when open watch out for the skeeters. Good luck on your find.
Mine have screens in place, looks like a pretty simple mod, just pull the door cover add screens with a slit for the lever arm and replace the door plastic. Ditto the side window. Skeeters solved.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #17

I'm not sure about the rear swing out windows and as someone already stated the fumes could be hazardous especially if you have children but the swing out side windows are pretty easy to find. I found mine at a salvage yard. A large number of people turned in their vans during the cash for clunkers program. I paid $50 for two windows and some miscellaneous plastic trim.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #18

will check out clunkers in junk yards; thanks ... blkjak
Old 07-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #19

We got the two rear windows from salvage yards for $65 for TWO. The dealer will now only sell them in entire kits (including glass, seals, trim, latches) - for $240 EACH.

Sandi