Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to bettyford
Re: Test drove new Ford and Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmac
We love our Chevy 1-ton EB, wouldn't consider any option other than the Duramax, although the GM gas powertrains are seemingly superior, too.

We are considering selling ours (one of the last solid front axle 4x4s built) and our SMB trailer only because even the EB is a bit cramped for more than a week with 4 of us. We are thinking of a fifth wheel, heavy 4x4 (topkick (Duramax, of course!)) combo. Definitely a sacrifice, but my wife is a trooper as camping is not her thing.
I would like 1st crack at your van when your ready to sell it. Im from La Jolla so I could visit my kids anytime and check out your van.

Thanks Ron

Old 02-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #12

The Express is available with the Duramax again for 2011. Or at least GM claims it is.

It's still only 250 hp, and it's paired with the GM 6-speed, not the Allison. The big kicker is price. It's an $11,000 option over the 6.0 V8

$11,000 sure buys a lot of gas, and the Ford V10 will outpull 250 hp Duramax, and is still rated rated for a higher GCWR too.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #13

Garage

We're getting a gas engine, already read all the gas vs. diesel threads and noted the cost comparisons.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #14

I've had an '06 GMC 2500 and now the '10 Ford.
Both good rigs.
I feel a Chevy steers better than a Ford (2wd vs 2wd). Fords wander.
I feel the Ford will hold up better than Chevy/GMC long term, but that is just a gut feeling.
They both feel (sound) like tin cans before insulation goes in.
If you like low rpm torque a diesel is for you. I am not impressed with the low end of the V-10 I have (I have to put my foot in it to go... glug glug glug).
The V-10 is an inexpensive upgrade but don't expect any decent fuel mileage.
Rear end gear ratio will be important if you plan to tow or carry weight with either V-8 gas motors.

Oh, if you ever plan to go 4x4, don't order with RSC (Ford stability).
QuadVan & I believe SMB do their build ups with out it (stability control).

Now bring that new van to Hells Canyon!!!...
Old 02-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #15

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxacceleration
I've had an '06 GMC 2500 and now the '10 Ford.
Both good rigs.
I feel a Chevy steers better than a Ford (2wd vs 2wd). Fords wander.
I feel the Ford will hold up better than Chevy/GMC long term, but that is just a gut feeling.
They both feel (sound) like tin cans before insulation goes in.
If you like low rpm torque a diesel is for you. I am not impressed with the low end of the V-10 I have (I have to put my foot in it to go... glug glug glug).
The V-10 is an inexpensive upgrade but don't expect any decent fuel mileage.
Rear end gear ratio will be important if you plan to tow or carry weight with either V-8 gas motors.

Oh, if you ever plan to go 4x4, don't order with RSC (Ford stability).
QuadVan & I believe SMB do their build ups with out it (stability control).

Now bring that new van to Hells Canyon!!!...
We've had the V10 in a motorhome, it is a very nice engine but I don't think we'll need it. When we occaisionally tow a heavy load we'll just go slow. Not sure what axle ratio our test Ford had, but the Chevy only has one option (who cares with 6 speeds?).

I am resisting the idea of 4x4 due to cost. I belive that RSC is standard on all Ford vans now, don't think it can be deleted. Most Chevy's I've seen lately have it too.

I won't have this vehicle in time for Hell's Canyon, or if I do it won't be converted yet. Besides, that's a Motorcycle gathering.....

Old 02-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #16

Sounds good dhally. I do believe the cargo version can be (special) ordered without RSC (not the passenger version), but its a moot point in your 2wd needs.

Ya Hells Canyon is for bikes. The comfort of the van is tempting though, but I probably won't take mine either.

Good luck with your decision on van choice!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
the Ford V10 will outpull 250 hp Duramax, and is still rated rated for a higher GCWR too.
Since when is 420ft/lbs (Ford E-series V10) > 460 ft/lbs (Duramax)? Let alone the respective engines make those numbers at completely different revs. Maybe a non-stock v-10 can come close, but no, that engine does not outpull the (detuned) Duramax.
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #18

Quote:
I would like 1st crack at your van when your ready to sell it. Im from La Jolla so I could visit my kids anytime and check out your van.

Thanks Ron
Ron, I will post up some pics and specs in the next few days. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.

Steve
Old 02-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmac
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
the Ford V10 will outpull 250 hp Duramax, and is still rated rated for a higher GCWR too.
Since when is 420ft/lbs (Ford E-series V10) > 460 ft/lbs (Duramax)? Let alone the respective engines make those numbers at completely different revs. Maybe a non-stock v-10 can come close, but no, that engine does not outpull the (detuned) Duramax.

When if comes to pulling in the mountains, its horsepower that matters, and the V10 has a very broad hp curve. Torque gets you off the line. HP gets you up the hill. The Duramax will make more torque in 1st gear (w/ the 6-speed) but that advantage disappears with the 1st upshift, due to the 3.31 rear end ratio.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #20

When if comes to pulling in the mountains, its horsepower that matters, and the V10 has a very broad hp curve. Torque gets you off the line. HP gets you up the hill. The Duramax will make more torque in 1st gear (w/ the 6-speed) but that advantage disappears with the 1st upshift, due to the 3.31 rear end ratio.[/quote]

We can split hairs and start talking about tricked up rear ends, then you're not comparing apples to apples. You put a 3.73 (stock in a DMax) rear end on the v-10, the (detuned) Duramax beats it, period. The Duramax is good enough to get away with the 3.73, the v-10 is not (or Ford would certainly put it in to improve the horrible fuel economy). Hook both vans together, all other things equal I guarantee the Duramax pulls the ford. With the heavier rear end (stock), it probably breaks the (stock) Ford, too.

My last car was a BMW M5 (V-10 BTW). One of the greatest output per displacement production engines ever built (one of 2 naturally aspirated production engines ever to make more than 100bhp per liter). Would I put it against a Duramax in a towing contest? Not a chance. Lamborghini would be building engines for Peterbuilt if that were the case.