Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #21

Garage
Gas vs. Diesel

I've driven the V10 and been around diesels. We won't need that much iron. Many people seem to be interested in how easily a fully loaded van and heavy trailer can cruise on the freeway at 75 mph, or whether they need to slow down on a 6 percent grade. I'm more concerned about keeping the total cost of ownership down, and keeping reliability and convenience up. It would be nice if the van wasn't a total slug.

With that in mind, does anybody have any experience for comparing the Ford 5.4L w/4-spd transmission and the Chevy 6.0L w/6-spd transmission? I will be grossing out around 8,000 lb with a 24" high top and driving in hilly terrain at 45 to 65 mph. Sometimes will need to tow a medium weight trailer but I don't mind slowing down on hills.

The Chevy produces more torque and hp but at substantially higher rpms. The Ford gets better gas mileage under light loads but maybe the Chevy would do just as well for my application?

Old 02-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #22

Re: Test drove new Ford and Chevy

Chevy usually gets the nod with respect to powertrain, Ford to the frame. That said, GM tends to build with ride comfort in mind more so than Ford. I would go with the most chassis you could afford. If you are rock climbing, Ford, otherwise GM. In terms of reliability, both from personal experience and from owning a shop, I have seen GMs (we're talking full size here) put up with a lot more abuse in the engine/tranny. They are known for it. Fords are great, but to a greater extent GM designs time tested engines/trans that span generations.
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #23

Bottom line is... The V10 is rated higher than the GM gas motor (and yes 3.73 gears are stock with the V10, but 4.10 or lower give more GCWR), so if towing heavy, it's really the only choice. An express only has as 16,000 pound GCWR, so a typical SMB-style conversion which weighs 10,000 pounds would only be able to tow a 6,000 pound trailer. And the V10 is plenty reliable. I'm coming up on 300,000 HARD miles, needing only a radiator, 2 oxygen sensors, and a starter relay for unscheduled maintenance. BTW - when I lost the radiator, I still had to drive 40 miles to find some JB-stick and antifreeze.

When comparing the 5.4L to the Chevy 6.0, the 6.0 will be a better performer, especially since the 5.4L still only has a 4-speed. (And the 6.0 is also rated higher than the 5.4L).
Old 02-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #24

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

The V10 sounds like a 6cyl. I just cant get passed that. I like the looks of a Ford Van better than the Chevy.

Carringb- 300k Wow that is impressive on any motor for sure cudo's on that!!

I really wouldnt say the Dura Max falls off in 2nd in fact from 1st to 2nd I have to be carefull its so strong i worry about the tranny. I also have a 12% grade at the end of my street its 6miles long and I have to slow down for everybody!

Ron
Old 02-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyford
The V10 sounds like a 6cyl. I just cant get passed that.
I certainly can't argue with that. But adding the Bank Powerpack did give it a nice throaty rumble.

I didn't mean to suggest that the Duramax slows down after 1st gear. Just pointing out that after the Duramax upshifts into 2nd, the V10 is putting more torque to the ground.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #26

I think dhally, as you are moderate and will probably take care of your rig, either choice will be fine.
Maybe interior dimensions might be the determining factor.
I am in no need to go fast either, so I can relate to your needs.
I would guess either Ford or Chevy's V-8 gas mileage would still drop to 10-12 mpg while towing a mid weight trailer over rolling terrain. You should have an advantage empty over the V-10 - it never gets 'good' gas mileage!

I enjoyed my GMC.

I enjoy my Ford too. Either are nice.

The 4x4 does not make the Ford nicer in day to day use, just more of a statement.
I think its about how your interior will be set-up which will keep you happy, or un-happy.
My .02
If you are not running a max GVWR both are fine.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #27

Garage

Thanks for all the posts, it's really good to get several points of view to make me think of all the factors. The discussions about GVWR and GCWR prompted me to do a little spreadsheet to answer the question: With my maximum estimated payload IN the van, how much trailer towing capacity remains? I've pretty much ruled out the Ford 4.6L, Chevy 6 cylinder, and Chevy 4.8L engines, as well as diesels. I listed the V10 mainly for comparison.

I wouldn't mind towing a trailer above the GCWR for short distances and/or infrequently, but I would want to limit the towed load to about 75% of the calculations for routine hauling. That would be 3,600 lb for the 5.4 engine and 5,900 lb for the 6.0 engine. With 3,600 lb I could tow a small SUV, several motorcycles, or a couple of snowmobiles. With 5,900 lb I could also tow 2 or maybe 3 horses, a travel trailer (not sure why), or an enclosed 14 foot cargo trailer with moderate load.
Attached Thumbnails
untitled.JPG  
Old 02-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyford
The V10 sounds like a 6cyl. I just cant get passed that.
Ron
You just need to tune it, Ron! Listen to this V-10:

webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #29

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxacceleration
Maybe interior dimensions might be the determining factor.
The interior dimensions are very close to the same for both chassis, according to specifications and SMB DIY web site. The length behind the seat base is 1" or 2" shorter in the Chevy. From our test drive, it appears that the roof is 1" or 2" higher in the Chevy. It would be easier to get more insulation in the walls of the Chevy with the single skin/rib design. However the Ford may have less heat conduction paths (no ribs). The fuel filler intrusion is bigger and a little further back in the Chevy.

Does anybody know if there are any other layout restrictions or advantages for Ford vs. Chevy RB's?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally

Does anybody know if there are any other layout restrictions or advantages for Ford vs. Chevy RB's?
The Ford vans allow for underfloor storage. Large in the RB, XL in the EB. SMB does not offer this on the Chevy, so I'm not sure if it is possible. If you want a Slider Door Van, the slider door will limit tire sizes, unless you get a QuadVan conversion, where they install an extended slider arm.

Also, if you will not have a generator, you may want to look at alternator options. The V10 is available with a 220A alternator. The V8 tops out at 155 amps, and 130 amps is standard. I don't know the alternator options on the GM van.