Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #31

Garage
Re: Test drove new Ford and Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
The Ford vans allow for underfloor storage. Large in the RB, XL in the EB. SMB does not offer this on the Chevy, so I'm not sure if it is possible. ...

...Also, if you will not have a generator, you may want to look at alternator options. The V10 is available with a 220A alternator. The V8 tops out at 155 amps, and 130 amps is standard. I don't know the alternator options on the GM van.
Thanks for the comment on the underfloor storage. We hadn't gotten that far in planning to decide if we want to relocate the spare, and how to use that space.

A big alternator does sound good for fast charging, although we plan to depend on propane. In fact Ford overall has more usefull-sounding options available - Upfitter switches, reverse sensors and cameras, and full trailer gear. Chevy has a couple too - high idle switch, power heated telescoping side view mirrors. I suppose some options could be added aftermarket.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #32

Actually, unless SMB changed very recently, it does offer underfloor storage on the GM vans. My 2007 GMC has one...
Old 02-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #33

there are some underfloor storage possibilities for chevy. however they are smaller than the ford.

the most underfloor options without moving the tire are in the ford EB.

also although sportsmobile says the 220 alternator is only available in v10 fords actual
site fordfleet(or fleetford) or ford.com for passenger vans says starting 2011 220 alternator available both 5.4 and 6.8.

gerry
Old 02-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #34

The high-idle switch for the Ford's is really easy to add. Especially with the factory up-fitter switches. It simply requires connecting the PTO wire at the firewall (and adding a dash switch if the up-fitter switches are not ordered). Heated glass with turn signals for the trailer tow mirrors is available from Muth.

I checked the SMB site last night for the underfloor storage option, and it was not there. The option sheet lists Ford only.

Also, it seams the Extendable Trailer tow mirrors have disappeared from the Express website? Can't figure that one out... It was a new option for 2011. Maybe they nixed that one? The Express Duramax does have one neat option Ford doesn't.... A diesel Aux heater. I don't know if you can use it to warm the interior with the motor off however.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #35

they don't list the special options for chevy because they do so few. other parts or the site other underfloor options available. they don,t list just like the 25 gallon underfloor greytank is not listed. if they order something they rarely use they don't list the price. ask them
Old 02-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #36

If you have a really large bladder (or want to Boondock in Alaska for extended periods) this may also interest you:

SMB and QuadVan both still install the 46-gallon midship tank for the Ford vans. You cannot buy this directly from TF anymore, only from those 4x4 guys. QuadVan also offers rear OEM 35 or 55 gallon aux fuel tanks. But if I remember right, I think John said the 2010+ vans won't register more than 46 gallons from the rear tanks, so the 55-gallon isn't fully usable.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #37

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmac
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyford
The V10 sounds like a 6cyl. I just cant get passed that.
Ron
You just need to tune it, Ron! Listen to this V-10:

Wow music to the ears for sure. And it only takes 100.000k to get it to sound like that.

Ron
Old 02-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #38

Quote:
The Express Duramax does have one neat option Ford doesn't.... A diesel Aux heater. I don't know if you can use it to warm the interior with the motor off however.
It's funny, I saw that one day when when I was changing the oil (thought to myself what the .... is that exhaust pipe?). Turns out it is an Espar with a GM badge, now I just need to figure out how to turn it on. Maybe I just turn the heater on without running the engine? Chevy out here on the West Coast knows nothing about it. I might need to plumb a flat plate but it's nice to have the bones in there already.
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #39

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmac
Quote:
The Express Duramax does have one neat option Ford doesn't.... A diesel Aux heater. I don't know if you can use it to warm the interior with the motor off however.
It's funny, I saw that one day when when I was changing the oil (thought to myself what the .... is that exhaust pipe?). Turns out it is an Espar with a GM badge, now I just need to figure out how to turn it on. Maybe I just turn the heater on without running the engine? Chevy out here on the West Coast knows nothing about it. I might need to plumb a flat plate but it's nice to have the bones in there already.
You and me both. Where is it located?

Ron
Old 02-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #40

On the Ford pickups, the aux heater is automatic when you switch on the heater when the truck is running, but Coolant temp is too low.

On your van, does warm air come immediately after startup?