Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #11

Re: The RB vs EB Debate

Steve: beautiful van! I've seen it posted but not the up-close shots until now. Great interior color combination!

That's a good point and now even though I'm re-thinking the microwave (we don't even have one at home), the EB is making more and more sense. I'd really hate to loose room on both sides - in reality, these vans are huge but the storage space seems to evaporate as they get loaded for trips.

While the van will spend most of it's time on the pavement getting to the trials, I plan to take it off-road a lot. I'll just have to compensate with good spotting, my deft off-road driving skilz (they don't call me Parnelli for nothing ) some good nerf bars and maybe some additional armor behind the rear wheels to protect the body work.

I see some of the trials folks drive in Earthroamers, XP Campers on F-Series trucks and FW pop-up campers on Toyota Tacomas and I feel pretty confident on where I can take an SMB.

Still though, I'm torn...it's just my wife and myself and maybe the "kids." We'll just have to look at more RB and EB examples. We've only seen an RB-50 in the flesh (and scads of pics of all of your wonderful rigs) so we just need to put our butts in both and see if the space is livable in both.

Thanks again for the input folks!

Old 08-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo

Not sure of the logic here--space gone is space gone though it could affect your layout alternatives--but I agree with the broader point. That's why we're probably going to pull our water heater. Another RB gotcha is that you can't have a Danhard AC and extended storage. Not enough space. Still, we're happy with our decision to go RB. Significant $ savings, a more nimble vehicle, if you can use that word w/a Sportsmobile, and a look that fits us.
What kind of significant savings can be found in an RB versus the EB? I'm not sure I follow. I can't see thousands of dollars difference when comparing, say, a comparably-equipped RB-50 to an EB-50. Not doubting you, just curious about where the savings can be had.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark
Quote:

Not sure of the logic here--space gone is space gone though it could affect your layout alternatives--but I agree with the broader point. That's why we're probably going to pull our water heater. Another RB gotcha is that you can't have a Danhard AC and extended storage. Not enough space. Still, we're happy with our decision to go RB. Significant $ savings, a more nimble vehicle, if you can use that word w/a Sportsmobile, and a look that fits us.
What kind of significant savings can be found in an RB versus the EB? I'm not sure I follow. I can't see thousands of dollars difference when comparing, say, a comparably-equipped RB-50 to an EB-50. Not doubting you, just curious about where the savings can be had.
Looking back at our purchase in 2012, the EB itself cost ~$600 extra. The standard EB-50 was +$300 , the PHT +$700, awning +$100, & flooring +$X depending on your choice. If you went w/the longer Thule rack because you had space, that's more $s (and more rack). Could be around $2k if you went for everything in the vehicle. That may not be significant for all budgets but it at least represents tires or wheels in the 4wd purchase, a rear tire carrier with money left over, front air lockers, or other add-ons you can't live without. As forum sages note, your mileage may vary.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Looking back at our purchase in 2012, the EB itself cost ~$600 extra. The standard EB-50 was +$300 , the PHT +$700, awning +$100, & flooring +$X depending on your choice. If you went w/the longer Thule rack because you had space, that's more $s (and more rack). Could be around $2k if you went for everything in the vehicle. That may not be significant for all budgets but it at least represents tires or wheels in the 4wd purchase, a rear tire carrier with money left over, front air lockers, or other add-ons you can't live without. As forum sages note, your mileage may vary.

Don
Ahh...I see! It's all making sense to me now. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #15

Garage

Just make sure you buy a diesel
Old 08-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
LOL!

A Chevy?
Old 08-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
Or not. If I had it to do over, I don't know which way I would go. Both have advantages/disadvantages. Now if a gasser would make the diesel clatter then.............................then it would be time for a new engine.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #18

Since you'll probably have the SMB for quite a while and intend to do a lot of camping from the sounds of your posts, AND being that you're 6'-5", and the fact that your wife won't sleep up top and you don't want to sleep in a different bed, you might want to consider "testing" yourself for a few nights to see if you could possibly make it in a short bed. Just stack extra pillows and such at the top of your current bed at home to simmulate the length of the RB-50 lower bed and try sleeping in it for 3-4 days and see how much you hate/love it. My bet is that it would drive you nuts and you'd sleep like crap after the first night, but ....

Also, if you decide to go with the RB-50 and don't want to change the layout and shorten the galley and loose the storage space, you could always create a small "platform" that you place at the end of the bed to extend the bed only while you sleep. Could be as simple as a piece of plywood with a couple legs that fold up under it, and it hangs under the penthouse bed when stored.
bphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #19

Here is my take...

The EB is A LOT bigger on the inside compared with the RB. My brother had an RB cargo van before upgrading to the 4wd diesel EB. The extra 20" makes a huge difference inside. If interior space is important - and at 6'8 I can sympathize with your 6'5 - you will really appreciate the EB.

The EB is off road capable. Check out the galleries of those that use them off road. I would suggest 'saline' or 'pjpvi' or 'jage' or others. It's not like you have to stay on graded gravel roads. Or check out my gallery; i went off road once . With three kids, that was a long time ago. Now I'm no off-roading rock crawler, and I wouldn't take my EB SMB where i would take a decent jeep, but I probably wouldn't take an RB there either.

One other thing to consider is the amount of lift you get. 4" is going to give you more room than 2". Having had experience with both, I would recommend at least 4" just for the additional travel and comfort over bumps, but more clearance for the long overhang on the EB is nice, too.

Anyway, FWIW, those are my thoughts. YMMV.

Jack
Old 08-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #20

Quote:
I would loose a lot of galley space.
Uh, there is not a lot to lose. Plus you can store things elsewhere, you can't make the base bed longer.

A few things to consider:
1. sheet size, doesn't have to be exact but a lot big or a little short can be a pita.
2. if you sleep passenger side, the door galley can be swung out of the way. you just need some padded something for your feet, or make a custom door galley that stops at bed level less a cushion.
3. a chevy EB extends the wheelbase
4. enough lift and tire and the departure angle becomes negligible

In the end it's a several thousand dollar and double-digit pound rig and has propane and other junk hanging out the bottom- it's not just something in practice that is bashed like a Jeep or Toyota. With a Jeep every part of the body is a functional surface for wheeling, getting stuck is half the fun. With the van- well if there is a rock too big or an overhand that would really fubar the EB hang, I'm seriously going to turn around and go back.

So I don't know, I guess if you consider how crazy you want to get vs. rig capability, the situational need for the little extra clearance you get in an RB never comes into play for me, because at that point I've already turned back and set up camp somewhere. The EB as is gets me further than I every expected the van to, and that's enough- it does some crazy sick stuff, and the only time I've been uncomfortable is coming down from Imogene and it had nothing to do with the EB length.

Even so, if the RB is important to you, modify the interior to suit while you can. You have the advantage of a new build and can customize the heck out of it- hell, I've seen a 50 with dual 3cf fridges and a 50 bed that was wall to wall. Get what you want built!