Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #21

Re: The RB vs EB Debate

Hey jage,

Thanks for chiming in. Obviously I won't bash this thing around like I did my shortbed Toyota. Like you said, it's a heavy and expensive vehicle. Ultimately, I just want to get to some beautiful camping spots where the Winnebago generators won't keep me awake. My wife will be comfortable and my nieces will be happy with their iPads, a campfire and s'mores. I've seen the places you and several others here have gone (Death Valley, Lost Coast, Moab, Colorado back country, back roads near Banff, Canmore, etc.) and that's good enough for me. Getting there is half the fun and being comfy once we're there is an added bonus.

I've really tried to wrap my head around an RB but I think I will regret it in the end. The others have said, regardless of the OAL, the difference probably won't make or break where I get to drive the damn thing.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #22

Words of wisdom right there, Aldercrest! Thanks for that. BTW, nice van (great gallery pics)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldercrest
Here is my take...

The EB is A LOT bigger on the inside compared with the RB. My brother had an RB cargo van before upgrading to the 4wd diesel EB. The extra 20" makes a huge difference inside. If interior space is important - and at 6'8 I can sympathize with your 6'5 - you will really appreciate the EB.

The EB is off road capable. Check out the galleries of those that use them off road. I would suggest 'saline' or 'pjpvi' or 'jage' or others. It's not like you have to stay on graded gravel roads. Or check out my gallery; i went off road once . With three kids, that was a long time ago. Now I'm no off-roading rock crawler, and I wouldn't take my EB SMB where i would take a decent jeep, but I probably wouldn't take an RB there either.

One other thing to consider is the amount of lift you get. 4" is going to give you more room than 2". Having had experience with both, I would recommend at least 4" just for the additional travel and comfort over bumps, but more clearance for the long overhang on the EB is nice, too.

Anyway, FWIW, those are my thoughts. YMMV.

Jack
Old 08-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #23

Well you seem to have adjusted expectations from Rubicon. Good; it may be better to have a known limitation--the departure angle--and just be a bit more conservative. Even a RB isn't a very nimble offroader if you're used to small rigs. And both beat you up a bit and you don't wanna trash your ride home.

I put nerds [edit: NERFS. Nerds whined more than the nerfs so I replaced 'em] on and they help. If I did it again I'd put on seething more like sliders; mine hang down too far.
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375998522.135438.jpg  
Old 08-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #24

I went back n' forth on EB vs RB. And also the premium cost of all things SMB adds in and under and on. In the end I found a nice EB Quigley passenger van. It now has a nice bed. And then I added a lil trailer that has much of the goodies of SMB. RTT for 3, sink, hot water, stove, shameless storage and my beloved Hannibal awning.

In many ways, it gives me EB & RB benefits on the same trip.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #25

The EB-51 is ideal in my opinion for several reasons. First, if you have an adequate lift/tires, the EB will take you most anywhere you would take any van with a somewhat heavy home in it.
I found the nice thing about the 51 vs. 50 layout, it gives you storage (floor to ceiling) behind the bed area. Basically the 50 design, but extension area in rear for huge carrying capability. I really like the idea of keeping equipment in back out of the "living area." At 6'5" myself, you can also have a bed up to 7'+ long easily up top which is great.
Only issue I had at first was the look of the EB side view looking long, but with a ladder, looks fine.
Just my 2 cents....

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #26

I tend to like the long thru aisle setups better than the 50-type floorplans. I originally got mine with the long corridor so I could cram in a kayak, bike or sailboard when necessary, and I found that very handy. And even after I started traveling without those toys I still prefer the long aisle for the ability to exit from the back, pack long stuff, and just move about.

And be cautious about blocking window areas. One nice thing about a SMB vs say a camper is the ability to have more window space, which makes living inside MUCH better. I like having a long counter on the passenger side with max windows, and a gaucho on the other so you're sitting looking out.

Rob
Old 08-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #27

I can't help you on this. My idea of a SMB is a mobile bedroom/restroom/soon-to-be-shower for my wife and I. I have a '95 FS Bronco for rock crawling. I don't rock crawl. So it's really for commuting. But I will say this without reservation, I have no interest in rock crawling in my EB Voyager fixed top SMB.

Its 4x4 is for slick snow and ice covered roads with curves and steep ups and steeps downs in USA and CA.

You need to pm Ujoint and BajaSportsmobile with your questions.

Edit: BTW, I second what RB said above about windows. I specifically ordered the passenger van because my wife and I like looking out at the spectacular views where we camp. We got our van so we could be outside and it's nice to see outside. There are few things more pleasant in the morning than drinking a cup of coffee in bed with your back propped up with pillows and looking out across a lake or up at snow covered mountains.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #28
Site Team

Garage
The RB vs EB Debate

Agreed re windows. Bowling alley effect doesn't fit.

A fixed roof was never an option for us, so we never looked at its pros and cons. However, I will say nothing beats sleeping upstairs, windows open, fresh air everywhere. We've also slept in single-digit temps with no problem though I envy CCV's insulated tops. We've slept on the gaucho a couple of times. It reminds me of a pine box with the fridge's noise & vibrations added in.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #29

I had considered an RB-50 in an EB but I really like the idea of a longer bed. I think the PH bed is out...my wife isn't keen on heights so I think the EB-50 fits the bill nicely. I'm less concerned about the length now, especially after browsing the galleries. Perhaps a bit more lift (in the rear) is in order, and it seems that most new EB's I see being delivered (in pics) show a slight sag in the rear.

I also like the little short cabinet on the front of the galley, just behind the driver's seat. It's an EB-only option and would just add to the interior storage space for pots, pans, whatever.

As far as windows, such as what Rob mentioned, I did ask if a small slider could be added above the sink and Jonathan said it's possible. I know what you mean about being able to see out, and was one of the reasons we are leaning toward the van over the alternative, which is a pop-up camper (Hallmark, FWC, etc.) in either a full-size Ford or a Tacoma. I didn't realize it until we looked at them but with the dinette in place, the large side window is almost totally obscured, even with the top up. That really just leaves the windows in the pop-up. And, if we really wanted to, we could crawl into the back of an EB-50 with the PH down and sleep...can't do that in a pop-up truck camper unless you're Flat Stanley.

So, unless the SMB route takes us down the path of getting a used one (oh-so tempting), we'll build an EB-50 and enjoy the space (and my wife will be getting trained as a spotter).

Some good nerds (LOL) that double as steps are definitely in order...a friend of mine has already looked into fabbing a set for us.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #30
Site Team

Garage

two is the best and they keep each other entertained although one is 3 and the other 12. We tried leaving them both down and have some alone time but between healer talking and getting up and down off the couch we gave up. They both attached to me but love my wife and do most of what she asks. The real trick is to make sure the they know your the alpha and how they rank in the pecking order.

Now on topic

Penthouse bed is the best and just like the others say its the view and what you can wake up to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry
We split it I sleep up top and the wife sleeps below. We both have healers and its just easier then putting both dogs up top with both of us . Oh ya it's cooler up top I like that
Gooseberry: a bit off topic, but how is it living with multiple healers? I had one (best dog EVAR) and he made sure that even though he was the newest, youngest dog of the family, he was the boss!

I'm not sure how my wife will accept the "I'll sleep in the other bed" suggestion. At 7 years we're still newlyweds! FWIW, she's totally against sleeping in the PH. Claustrophobia and heights aren't her friends.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote