Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #1

The RB vs EB Debate

Hello folks. I've tried searching but perhaps the group can point me to any (lively?) threads on RB vs EB lengths. I'm not really looking for answers, just some though-provoking banter.

I'd really like to stick with an RB for off-roading but it seems most everyone with an EB does just fine and isn't limited in where they can go.

I'm 6'5" and really think that the EB-50's bed would be better suited for me. Also, more storage is a plus for us and when our nieces come along, the PH bed is a bit longer too, if I'm not mistaken, correct?

I can likely live with an RB-length bed as I don't stretch out to sleep. But, as mentioned above, the extra room would be nice and the "wish I bought the longer van" syndrome would probably haunt me more than multiple point turns or some scarred bumpers.

Back in the height of my wheeling days I drove an FJ40 and a short-bed, standard-cab Toyota 4x4 (locked, Marlin Crawler, long-travel leaf springs, etc.) so I know the benefits of a short rig. Keeping that in mind though, I'm not planning on taking the SMB through the Little Sluice, but I will be seeking out remote campsites and use the Atlas for what it was built for

Thanks! I'll be posting a "critique my build" post shortly (based on our new decision to opt for the -50 floorplan).

Old 08-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: The RB vs EB Debate

I Have a RB and very glad it is one. I was just out with a group and a EB Quigley did not really get stuck but got hung up and we had to turn around after jacking and blocking.

Things to think of.
The higher the lift the better the angle is but harder to get in and out of.

What are you really planning on doing? I do wheel mine so the overhang is not a option for me.

I have a extra spacer the extends my penthouse bed for taller people.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #3

I'm not worried about the length of the PH bed for me, more so the sofa bed. The PH bed is for kids (well, one's 15 and the other is 20 so their kinda kids). The only real sticking point for me with the RB is that the bed may not be long enough for me to be comfy (or I'd be squishing my wife into a corner so I can get comfortable).

I DO plan to wheel this thing all over the west and I'm not afraid of some scars. Will I try Rubicon? Maybe, but that would be the most extreme. Heck, if people can do it in fairly stock FJ60's with open diffs and 31's, I gonna take a stab at it.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #4

I'd say if you're serious enough about 'wheeling to consider the Rubicon in one of these then don't get the EB, and this from one who has an EB. The overhang is significant and since you've been offroad a lot you know what a pain in the rear (literally) this can be. Deep transverse ruts, holes, edges of washes, wheel-spin created ditches at the start of little hills, steep driveways, etc etc are all problematic. You can mitigate it with skids, but that still takes weight off the rears and reduces drive.

I don't do anything particularly difficult anymore, but I still have to accomodate my big rear end. There are other solutions for the storage it provides, and you can still do a long gaucho, you just might have to eliminate some storage or other clutter. There are more work-arounds for that than for the extended rear.

Rob
Old 08-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #5

Those are great points, Rob. I *think* I can probably sleep just fine in an RB bed. Jonathan said that if I want to extend it (to the EB-sized bed) I would loose a lot of galley space. I think I can sleep in the fetal position and be OK. I can possibly store more stuff in a rooftop carrier and get it out of the van, just to free-up space.

On a somewhat related note, I think that some extreme-duty nerf bars/steps are in order. In addition to protection, they make great pivot points for larger vehicles (and I think the SMB qualifies).
Old 08-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Here are a couple of threads but I'm on the side of "if you're planning to put it through the grinder an RB wins against an EB's extra space".

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=442

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=894

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

We split it I sleep up top and the wife sleeps below. We both have healers and its just easier then putting both dogs up top with both of us . Oh ya it's cooler up top I like that

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry
We split it I sleep up top and the wife sleeps below. We both have healers and its just easier then putting both dogs up top with both of us . Oh ya it's cooler up top I like that
Gooseberry: a bit off topic, but how is it living with multiple healers? I had one (best dog EVAR) and he made sure that even though he was the newest, youngest dog of the family, he was the boss!

I'm not sure how my wife will accept the "I'll sleep in the other bed" suggestion. At 7 years we're still newlyweds! FWIW, she's totally against sleeping in the PH. Claustrophobia and heights aren't her friends.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #9

Garage

You mentioned in your build thread that you are planning to add both a furnace and a water heater to the "50" layout. I am pretty sure that if you go RB, you will have to install the furnace on one side and the water heater on the other instead of both on the same side like in an EB. Those items already eat into your available storage space if installed on one side. Imagine losing an equal amount of space on both sides.

Steve in L.A.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInLA
You mentioned in your build thread that you are planning to add both a furnace and a water heater to the "50" layout. I am pretty sure that if you go RB, you will have to install the furnace on one side and the water heater on the other instead of both on the same side like in an EB. Those items already eat into your available storage space if installed on one side. Imagine losing an equal amount of space on both

Steve in L.A.
Not sure of the logic here--space gone is space gone though it could affect your layout alternatives--but I agree with the broader point. That's why we're probably going to pull our water heater. Another RB gotcha is that you can't have a Danhard AC and extended storage. Not enough space. Still, we're happy with our decision to go RB. Significant $ savings, a more nimble vehicle, if you can use that word w/a Sportsmobile, and a look that fits us.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote