Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2019, 02:22 PM   #11

How do people like to run their KO2's?

I usually run 50psi Front and rear, any real advantage to having them north of 70? (I think I saw them rated for 80). I presume there's not a noticeable change in MPG from 50 to 80? Might think about bumping them up to 65-70 for the drive from Bozeman to Oakland.

Hadn't checked pressures for a long time and found I was running a lot closer to 25-30 psi.... Really nice ride, but figured that was a bit low for city and highway driving.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #12

Heavier loads require higher inflation pressures. Under inflation results in more sidewall flex which results in higher operating temps. High tire temps can result in a tire failure. If you are running near the tires maximum load rating, you need to be running near the maximum inflation pressure as written on the tire its self. I often check sidewall temps with my infrared when stopped for gas or a break.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I often check sidewall temps with my infrared when stopped for gas or a break.
Thanks arctic traveler. What's a good temp reading range or is there a max temp at which time you increase the tire pressure and is there a correlation between tire temperature and increase in pressure?

Thank you!

Terry
wltrmtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:27 PM   #14

There is no exact temp I look for but if one is hotter than the others it might have a leak, since lower pressure flexes the tire more heating it up more. Try these charts.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...sp?techid=195&

Tire Inflation Chart
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:42 AM   #15
Site Team

I will also use a laser temp gun to check the temp on my hubs. If one is significantly higher than others, I might have a bad axle bearing.

Herb
Old 04-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #16

Thank you Arctictraveller, I've saved those. It looks like I'll need to weigh my van in camping configuration with a full tank of gas.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:01 PM   #17

Good information BroncoHauler. I checked on laser temp guns and they're more reasonable than I expected. Definitley something to consider putting in my mechanic bag.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wltrmtty View Post
86Scotty, I just 'chatted' with Michelin. Right on. They referred me to the door placard which reads 50psi front/80psi rear. I told them that's based on maximum load and there must be a range chart for other loads. 'Karen' then recommended 50psi. I asked again for a load range. she sent me to an internet search result link for load ranges. I said, "This is load ranges for various manufacturers. Doesn't Michelin have their own chart?"

"Look at the first link" was her reply.

The first link was a pdf for Toyo tires inflation ranges. I said, "This is for Toyo tires. Would you like me to extend your sincere thanks and gratitude to Toyo tires for doing your job for you?"

"Sure. Do you have any other questions?"

"Yes, if I put a penny in my tire tread and see President Lincoln's cowl lick, is it my Birthday?"

The end
Welcome to customer service in America. Actually, I doubt it was in America. How thick was her accent?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Heavier loads require higher inflation pressures. Under inflation results in more sidewall flex which results in higher operating temps. High tire temps can result in a tire failure. If you are running near the tires maximum load rating, you need to be running near the maximum inflation pressure as written on the tire its self. I often check sidewall temps with my infrared when stopped for gas or a break.
Yep, I agree. Most of us are running E-rated tires and all of us should be on these big vans we load to the gills. These are tough tires no matter the brand and can handle a lot of abuse. If you are not running E's on an SMB or converted camper van you should check them out sooner than later.

I have a very wise friend who prefers to think of tire ratings more as a tire's ability to shed heat (or probably better said to handle heat) than to handle a load. It's an interesting way of thinking about it but doesn't supersede paying attention to load ratings. Anyway, the idea is an E rated tire will shed/handle heat a whole lot better than a lesser rated tire. Oh, also, hopefully everyone here is running LT (light truck) tires. If you are driving an E150 or Chevy half ton it's very possible someone put passenger tires on your van and this is very bad.

This (link below) should be in everyone's driver's door pocket. They're just too cheap and too handy not to own. I use mine for everything related to the van, cooking, checking cold frosty beverage temps, entertaining pets, and sometimes drunkenly gauging the rocks around the campfire.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase...-1-spons&psc=1
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:02 PM   #20

Google...... “Load and Inflation Ratings - Michelin Truck Tires” to get inflation charts.
soaringhawk is offline   Reply With Quote