Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2019, 10:04 PM   #21

Oops... That’s “Load and Inflation Tables - Michelin Truck Tires”

soaringhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:35 PM   #22

Since you guys are on the subject it’s made more curious...What should mine be run at? 315/75/16 and I’d say the van weighs 10k or thereabout.
Ron_Nunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Nunan View Post
Since you guys are on the subject it’s made more curious...What should mine be run at? 315/75/16 and I’d say the van weighs 10k or thereabout.
Door sticker inflation information assumes you have stock sized tires, but anything other than stock may require different pressures. The manufacturer of you tires should be able to provide a load / inflation table for your particular size and rated tires, but it seems some do and some don't. For those that don't, I would error on the side of higher pressures as your load increases (but not over the max inflation noted on the side of the tire) Ride quality will suffer, but there will be less chance of overheating and possible tread failure.

https://www.michelintruck.com/refere...tion-tables/#/
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #24

I have a 2010 Ford E150 conversion van that has "sticker" tire pressures of 55 psi in the front and 80 psi in the rear. These are quite a bit above the pressures recommended by Michelin for my tires and vehicle weight and made for a very harsh ride. (I weighed the vehicle on a CAT scale at a truck stop.) The Michelin recommended pressures are 42 for the front and 50 for the rear. I Lowered the pressures to 50 in the front and 60 in the rear which greatly improves the ride. As a result the TPMS constantly indicated low tire pressures. I was able to modify the "trigger" values (Front Tire Placard Pressure and Rear Tire Placard Pressure in the GEM/SJB module) for the TPMS using FORScan. That took care of the TPMS warning.
jim2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #25

Sound OK, but we always go by our tire place (Discount) and have them check condition and rotate as appropriate AND tell them what kind of driving we expect to do ( towing makes a big difference!). Have had them find things I would have missed in few cases. All free.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #26

Another way to look at it, using the 50/80 SMB recommended loaded pressures for instance, is to determine your running weight vs loaded weight, then reduce the pressure by that percentage....The two should be proportional and I do use that as a guideline...ie when driving the SMB empty, reduce pressure by 10-15% (depending on the weight difference).....
So weigh your van then calculate.....
Anecdotally, had a friend that replaced his OE ford shocks with KYBs and complained it now was rattling his teeth (he drives it almost always empty), and after getting to tire pressure, he said he always ran 80/55....After 15% reduction his van no longer was jarring and handled way better than previously with the new shocks......

[COLOR=inherit !important]

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }
[/COLOR]
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #27

My placard also recommends 50 front and 80 rear, but this assumes the van is at gross weight. soaringhawk cautioned me about running tire pressures above that required by the load. I agree with him in that this will degrade handling and braking distances.

I'm running Michelin Defender 225/75R16 tires load rating E. Michelin recommended the Toyo Tires Load/Inflation chart for my tires. Based on this information, I put together a table for my van/tires combination:

TIRE INFLATION AND LOAD RATING
Michelin Defender LT225/75R16 (Load Rating E)

PSI
(minimum) 35 40 45 50 55 60 65 70 75 80
Load KLBS
(per axle) 3.0 3.3 3.6. 3.9 4.1 4.4 4.7 4.9 5.1 5.4

I did a lot of rounding so it would fit, but you get the idea.

I then went to a CAT scale and weighed the truck in a very basic configuration (basic kitchen and full tank of gas) and got the following report:

STEERING AXLE: 3,280 LBS
DRIVE AXLE: 4,320 LBS

Based on this, I should have ~40psi in the front tires and ~60psi in the rear tires. This van is new to me and I haven't camped in it, yet, but when I do (in a couple weeks), I'll load it up and check it, again, on my way out of town and adjust the pressures accordingly.
`
Michelin recommends checking the tires cold - after they have sat for three hours. If I wanted to sit at a gas station for 3 hours, I would have bought a Tesla. One article I read said that tires can be checked hot, but to add 4 psi onto the recommended inflation pressure. Sounds reasonable to me.
wltrmtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:28 AM   #28
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wltrmtty View Post
`
Michelin recommends checking the tires cold - after they have sat for three hours.
I've heard almost the exact opposite---check pressure while tires were warmed to normal operating temps. It seems coming to a stop after normally cruising at freeway speeds (65 MPH) and measure PSI is a good practice.

To my way of thinking a cold tire PSI would increase at speed so it would be possible to slightly over inflate if checked and filled cold.

I'm running Michelin LTX 245/R75-16's all around, van weighs in at 7,800# as a daily driver---my PSI is 70 all around and for me that works well enough. I don't drive on anything other than paved roads, never off-roading.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:53 AM   #29

JWA, this is from Michelin

According to the Michelin article here, under inflated tires will be more dangerous than over inflated tires. I have to assume tire manufacturers take into account the extra 4psi, or so, of inflation after the tire warms up.
wltrmtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by soaringhawk View Post
Some but not all “Flying J’s” have scales. I think I remember there’s one at Mango Rd and I-4. Just Google CAT scales. Try also Flying J on Google Maps. Terry M
A recycle place or a junk yard for a scale.
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote