Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2019, 03:02 PM   #1

Tire Pressure

I have a 1998 E250 SMB. I'm running Michelin Defender 225/75R16 tires. The door jam shows tire pressures of 80psi rear/50psi front. Do these pressure sound correct?

Thanks!

Terry

wltrmtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #2

Hi Terry, I’ve run through 2 sets of the exact same tires. Both sets wore down perfectly. I took my van down to a CAT scale fully loaded for Summer traveling. Found the Michelin tire pressure chart for that specific tire and have used that exclusively. Very happy with the handling, braking etc. Many tire store guys over inflate by 20 lbs particularly in the rear. One guy told me never run a Michelin tire under 50 lbs. My van is light and weights 3280 front & 3980 rear. Michelin chart says 45lb front and 55lb rear. I was skeptical at first, seemed too low for all the opinions you hear. But the proof was in the wear and handling. Terry M.
soaringhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #3

Thanks, soaringhawk. I guess I need to take it to the scales. Where will I find scales, at a truck stop?
Old 04-17-2019, 04:01 PM   #4

Some but not all “Flying J’s” have scales. I think I remember there’s one at Mango Rd and I-4. Just Google CAT scales. Try also Flying J on Google Maps. Terry M
soaringhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:21 PM   #5

That’s what I run my 98 E250 SMB at: 80/55 on Michelin LTX E-rated tires. Sometimes I’ll drop the rear to 70 to soften the ride a bit if I’m not very loaded.

Are your tires E-rated? If not, they should be.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:16 PM   #6

BrianW, yes they're E rated - thankfully!

Terry
Old 04-17-2019, 09:20 PM   #7

First, download the Trucker Path app. It will show you all CAT scales. They are much more prominent than just at major truck stops. It will also show you parking, rest areas, Walmarts and many other useful things that truckers and travelers like us use. It's one of my top 5 all time apps. I use it daily but I travel for work.

Second, adjust your tires for load rather than what the door jamb says. Lower than you think is better with E-rated tires, oddly enough. 80 psi will jar your fillings loose and drive your passengers insane. Ask me how I know. 50 up front is great for most of these vans, 55-60 is what I usually run in the rear. As in all things YMMV and personal trial and error is your best answer.

There are some lengthy and informative threads on this buried on this site if you can find them.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:54 PM   #8

Thanks 86Scotty. I've downloaded the app. You're right, 80psi on the rears and 50 up front was shaking my fillings loose (and the van) and this town has horrible roads. I've been looking for the Michelin load/pressure chart for the LT Defenders, but haven't found it, yet. I'll chat up Michelin tomorrow.

Thanks, again.

BTW, I'm loving this SMB.

Terry
Old 04-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #9

I'm betting Michelin tells you to run 80, or something close to it. Liability is their game, not your comfort. I'm genuinely curious to know what they say.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #10

86Scotty, I just 'chatted' with Michelin. Right on. They referred me to the door placard which reads 50psi front/80psi rear. I told them that's based on maximum load and there must be a range chart for other loads. 'Karen' then recommended 50psi. I asked again for a load range. she sent me to an internet search result link for load ranges. I said, "This is load ranges for various manufacturers. Doesn't Michelin have their own chart?"

"Look at the first link" was her reply.

The first link was a pdf for Toyo tires inflation ranges. I said, "This is for Toyo tires. Would you like me to extend your sincere thanks and gratitude to Toyo tires for doing your job for you?"

"Sure. Do you have any other questions?"

"Yes, if I put a penny in my tire tread and see President Lincoln's cowl lick, is it my Birthday?"

The end