Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2017, 09:23 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
Don't forget to talk with Jeremy at WeldTech Designs! He's a wizard with these vans and likes to talk shop.
https://weldtecdesigns.com/product-c...sion-e-series/

They're just a few blocks down the street from Agile 4x4, in El cajon.

There's a synergy that goes on in El cajon with the desert race industry, engineering and fabrication. These companies push each other to innovate and dream up some cool stuff!
Youngster,

I appreciate the information that you have given me. I just might talk with Jeremy as you advise.

I have a first cousin that lived in the LA area that had a business that catered to the desert type machines. His name is James Hall, I think his son is a Junior, who continued the business for awhile. If I get down that way come spring, I need to visit him, his children and grandchildren, since it might be the last chance I get.

James

James4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:32 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I would also agree that your van is due for new/better springs.

Deaver's are nice, but not the only option. I also feel like you can do better than new OEM springs. Those overloads just gotta go. If you want to do it inexpensively, you could remove the overloads, and add new intermediate leafs. That can take some trial and error however.
carringb,

What about the re-arching of the existing springs and adding a leaf or two like the fellow I spoke with at a local company recommended to me a few days ago?

Also, he mentioned that it might add a couple of inches in height to the rear of the van? Should the rear of the van be a little over 2 inches higher than the front?

James
Old 11-22-2017, 04:55 AM   #43
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Very, very late to this thread, hoping my info isn't blather or interference.

Having acquired a new-to-me 2005 E350 extended body window van (previously a wheel chair lift-equipped people mover) with extended roof AND almost constantly trying to improve handling characteristics of the E-Series I've settled on a Bilstein/Hellwig combo that'll be put into use sometime soon. This will include parts most commonly used on short wheel base motor homes based on the E-Series chassis.

Hellwig's 7085 (rear) and 7008 (front, pre-2008) along with Bilstein 33-176857 B6 (front) & 33-187570 B6 (rear) are the recommended parts after conversations with both companies respectfully.

CarringB's observations are quite spot on especially about oversteer and understeer. One thing I've noticed about the extended bodies where the full-sized spare tire is mounted about as far back on the frame as possible the oversteer is quite noticeable. Considering it weighs just at 80# that's significant relative to handling.

Locally I've yet to find anyone who'll install caster/camber bushings such as Ingalls products to push my running caster out to +5*. Sadly too many front end shops aren't staffed with well-trained or experienced technicians that can/will do more than read a computer print-out and create an invoice.

I'm early in this change, van is in for transmission work just now so hope to get going in the next few weeks. The van has been stripped of its Club Wagon interior and the wheel chair lift removed I'll get a base line front/rear weight as delivered and post something in another thread about these changes and their effects on handling.
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:47 AM   #44

Well I just lost a long post I made to bring everyone up to date about the latest on my van. This one is going to be very short.

Have had new tires put on and a leaf added to the rear springs. Van sets higher in the rear, and it rides better, of course, especially so in cornering. There is a bit of understeer that I experienced yesterday on the Interstate in some relatively heavy traffic, and I'm not certain the road was all that level at this point either. Still, the steering is a bit "light" and should be improved. I will probably have the alignment checked again.

carringb's comment about maybe not needing a rear sway bar might well be correct, and now I'm thinking that a bigger front sway bar might be in order.

JWA, thank you for your input!

Please keep the comments coming.

James
Old 04-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by James4 View Post
carringb's comment about maybe not needing a rear sway bar might well be correct, and now I'm thinking that a bigger front sway bar might be in order.

JWA, thank you for your input!

Please keep the comments coming.

James
If it has a tendency to understeer, you wan to increase rear sway stiffness (i.e. add a bar there) and not add more stiffness to the front.

Also, what are you running for front tire pressure? Too much can induce understeer and make it feel light.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #46

Thank you!

I'm still running about 70-all around. That worked really well on the old tires. Just got the leaf spring added yesterday, and the tire pressure felt just fine. What specific psi might you suggest?

James
Old 04-07-2018, 02:14 PM   #47

I only run 55 psi on my fronts, and I've got a 400# bumper and winch hanging off the front. Really, it depends on actual front axle weight and your tire size, but 70 sounds really high. I think JSweezy found his sweet spot at 45 psi.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #48

Garage
I think I was running 55 front, 50 rear on my 4wd van for a while and found that to be good. It was either that or 50 front, 45 rear. That was with 285/75/17s.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:47 PM   #49

I'll experiment a bit with the psi for the front tires to help with the minor issue of understeer and light-steering feel. That might do it. I'll lower the front tires to 65 tomorrow and take it for a spin on the Interstate and try it at 60 the following day.

Thanks!!!

James

BTW: What does your vans...SMB's weigh in at for front and rear?
Old 04-07-2018, 04:32 PM   #50

I took my sway bars off front and rear after finding frame damage at the mounting points. Cant say I really notice a difference. Always hated fussing with the front disconnects when leaving the pavement anyhow. They are the Hellwig ones SMB put on when I ordered it. If someone wants to make me an offer I would sell them. Would have to come get them. In LA CA
DIG
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote