Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #1

Garage
Tow mirrors

Does anyone know an upfitter who sells take off tow mirrors? I'm having a hard time finding a set. I would love power and signal if possible.

Thanks,

Brad

Old 10-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #2

Re: Tow mirrors

With signal the only one I know who sells them is oldbonesclimber
See the topic viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4029&hilit=Tow+mirrors

For the regular power, I am also searching...
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #3

Tow mirrors

Don't know what you mean by "take-off", but a swap to the Ford tow mirrors is an easy task (as demonstrated by the fact that I did it).

There is a thread with outstanding instructions complete with pictures.

The trick is watching eBay patiently until you find a pair at a reasonable price.

OBTW, the mirrors I got were the same year and did not require a swap of the wires. So connect them first and check prior to swapping. Or swap the wires back and forth like I did.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #4

Think I will tag on to this thread as it is relevant.

The following is from I want Imogene thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
During the Sportsmobile rally in Silverton in 2006, a number of us did the trail beginning in Telluride. The only real issue was passing vehicles coming the other way. Most were tour groups with H2s. In some of those situations, a spotter was needed along with folding in the mirrors.
Which reminded me.
I was out with group of H2's once and really liked the fact that their mirrors were power folding. Anyone ever see a power folding version of the Ford tow mirrors? Power folding as in push switch while going through brush and the mirrors fold flat against the body.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
Think I will tag on to this thread as it is relevant.

The following is from I want Imogene thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
During the Sportsmobile rally in Silverton in 2006, a number of us did the trail beginning in Telluride. The only real issue was passing vehicles coming the other way. Most were tour groups with H2s. In some of those situations, a spotter was needed along with folding in the mirrors.
Which reminded me.
I was out with group of H2's once and really liked the fact that their mirrors were power folding. Anyone ever see a power folding version of the Ford tow mirrors? Power folding as in push switch while going through brush and the mirrors fold flat against the body.
I've never seen that before, though it's kind of a cool idea and I'm sure it's really convenient. That said, I personally wouldn't want it. Just added complexity, cost, weight...

Herb
Old 10-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56

Which reminded me.

I have power folding mirrors on my suburban and its an 04. Whenever I park in tight spots I will fold them in. Just hit a button and they fold in and out.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #7

Apparently the H set uses it as an excuse to park badly, at least in my experience. Although I wish the F250 had them because my wife brings the pickup back with bumped mirrors ever time she goes to the gym.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
I've never seen that before, though it's kind of a cool idea and I'm sure it's really convenient. That said, I personally wouldn't want it. Just added complexity, cost, weight...

Herb
Excuse me as I pick myself up off the floor after laughing hysterically.

Whats that machine parked outside your house? How many complex systems does it have on it and your afraid of a, of a, of a mirror?

Why if everyone took that position...
Where would Microsoft be if no one bought complex software prone to bugs and breakdowns?
Would Apple come out with the Iphone 5 if it was anything more than just the coolest new thing to have?

That kind of thinking is just ... wrooong.

You are banished from the cool new toys store.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
Site Team

I hear you Charlie. But just because you can, isn't a reason to do it.

Manual folding mirrors (where all it takes is lowering my driver's side window and reaching forward, or getting out and folding the passenger's side mirror in), that cost something like $250-$400 a pair, would probably cost $800 - $1000 a pair or more if they were electric. What's that differential worth, something like 100 -150 gallons of diesel? That's a 1500 mile or more roadtrip I can take, rather than 30 seconds of my time adjusting mirrors. That's my decision process, but I have no issue with other priorities of other people.

Herb
Old 10-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #10

Are you talking about the extending type, or the type that just have the separate blind spot mirror in the lower portion?

My 2002 has electric one piece mirrors, I don't want the big extending towing type, but I do want the blind spot mirror down the bottom.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote