Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #1

Upholstery adhesive

Do any of you know or have suggestions on what type of adhesive to use to glue the upholstery onto the angle iron frame that surrounds the penthouse roof opening? I need to glue some sections back down.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:48 PM   #2

Re: Upholstery adhesive

Larrie - when I did my top I used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive because it is what I had. Seemed to work well and is readily available. They make a '90' product too that I believe is stickier. I also tried some off brand spray adhesive but it didn't work as well as the 3M product. Contact cement may also work good?

Looking forward to hearing what someone with actual upholstery experience may have to share.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #3

I re-glued some of the thin upholstery material in my SMB using headliner spray glue and it worked fine. This was for the fabric that is inset into the recessed wall "panels" under the windows in my sleeping area. Also planning to do the front headliner this spring once it warms up a bit. I believe it's the same material as used up in the Penthouse top area (which, come to think of it, I should probably redo, too).

I've also used 3M spray adhesive in the past for other projects and it works well, too.

When re-gluing, be sure to scrape off as much of the residual, dried-up material as possible for a good bond. If your material is like mine was, it has a foam backing that is probably dried up and flaking. I used a clean, regular scrub brush on the fabric and base material to get it as clean as possible.

On a side note, when I was respraying the glue in the sleeping area of my SMB the can slipped out of my hand and fell a few inches, hitting something sharp just right. It started spraying glue out of the side of the can in the middle of my van! Instinctively I clamped my hand over it, which thankfully saved the day. It would have been a real mess otherwise (and it took repeated scrubbing with solvent to get the glue off my hands).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
Site Team

I've used contact cement for this job.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...p=37515#p37515

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #5

3M is the best to use if your not buying it by the gallon, like the upholstery shops do. The trick to making it work the best is in the application. It is a pressure sensitive glue, so what you want to do is spray your angle iron with it, then spray your fabric. Let them sit until they both tack up. Spray the fabric a second time and then wrap the fabric onto your angle iron. You will be able to remove and reposition it if you need to as long as you don't press it on to hard. Once it is in place where you want it, go back and run your hand accross the entire fabric area with decent pressure to set the glue.
time2mtbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #6

Derek at CCV suggested I use a product called White Lightning spray adhesive. He says he's tried everything and it performs the best for things like carpeting ceilings, etc.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/WHITE- ... sive-6KDX2

It seems like I looked it up awhile back and it was much pricier than Grainger has it above, so this might be a really good deal. Even better if you have a Grainger nearby.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #7

Upholstery adhesive

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will probably get a can of contact cement and brush it on. The area that I need to re attach would be difficult to spray without a serious amount of masking off of other areas.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
Thanks for all the suggestions. Will probably get a can of contact cement and brush it on. The area that I need to re attach would be difficult to spray without a serious amount of masking off of other areas.
Do a test spot first, with any adhesive you choose, to make sure it doesn't melt any of the foam.

Herb
Old 02-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #9

Upholstery adhesive

Herb,

Good point.