Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2017, 12:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisnight View Post
You seem to be on the right track, do not apply the Raptor liner on bare metal though!! If you do the por 15 then still scuff it up with a red scotchbrite pad after it's dry, all paint and glossy areas need to be scuffed up and any bare metal areas use a self etching primer first. Mine didn't have rust yet so I just scuffed then cleaned it good with acetone, sprayed a little adhesive promoter to get in the cracks (also a Upol profuct) then the liner. For the under lip tape it off first then scuff, the tape will be strong enough to protect your paint and you will be able to prep up to the line you want to make, this will also help doing the rockers and getting a straight clean tape line, I scuffed the paint a little, then after taping them cleaned the residue and sprayed adhesive promoter followed by liner to help keep the line sharp after peeling the tape off.

Good luck it's all about prep to get great results
Did you spray raptor liner directly over the sealant in your gutters or did you scrap it out first. Mine is dried and needs replacing. I figured the raptor liner would get into the seam to some degree, but kinda liked the peace of mind having a fresh bead of sealant. Thanks!

Kingspa09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
My vote match the top to the blue. black roofer vent, black rockers & add some bushwhackers. You've seen my rig at the opt meet ups so you know what I like [emoji106][emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dig your black on white. Hope to run into you another Wednesday night. Saw you highroof out back...looks great!
Old 10-28-2017, 08:53 AM   #13

Well, after some delay recovering from shoulder reconstruction, I finished our roof. Spent about 30 hours on prep - completing ground out all factory gutter sealant and took down to bare metal, removed all roof rust - looked awesome at first due to shoddy touch up paint jobs of previous owner, but turned out to be minimal. I primed with a 2K epoxy primer and then re-sealed gutters with self leveling sealant. We ended up going with a black fan which was I installed just prior to my accident. We chose tinted raptor at 7.5% per volume matching the ford factory blue. Also wrapped the entire gutter and underside, taking it down about 1/2" onto van sidewalls. Pretty happy with the results. Thanks for everyone's insight.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5417.jpg   IMG_5418.jpg   IMG_5452.jpg   IMG_5457.jpg   fullsizeoutput_19e.jpg  

fullsizeoutput_19d.jpg   IMG_5458.jpg   IMG_5582.jpg   IMG_5583.jpg   IMG_5584.jpg  

Old 10-28-2017, 09:20 AM   #14

Garage
Wow, fantastic job!
Your gutter cleanup work / paint stripping to bare metal in particular.

Assuming you used some kind of wire wheel to get that accomplished so cleanly/thoroughly? Curious if you might share what tool/grinder/wire brush that might have been, I have a similar task waiting for me when I stop procrastinating...

Again very nice, looks great.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Wow, fantastic job!
Your gutter cleanup work / paint stripping to bare metal in particular.

Assuming you used some kind of wire wheel to get that accomplished so cleanly/thoroughly? Curious if you might share what tool/grinder/wire brush that might have been, I have a similar task waiting for me when I stop procrastinating...

Again very nice, looks great.
Mike,

I used a Dewalt 8amp 3/8" corded drill (0-2,500rpm) with combination of standard 4" wire wheel and this carbide stripper from 3M...https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-Paint-an...g-Disc/3036320

I used a standard 1/2" wood chisel bevel side down to slowly knock with hammer and take out the seal. This was more necessary where the seal was still flexible towards the front of the van. Be careful, if you orient the chisel bevel up, it's easy to cut into the metal if it's sharp enough. The carbide strip was a godsend and the wire wheel worked well for the inside corner of the gutter where the chisel and 3M wheel didn't fit.

I used an orbital sander with 150g paper for prepping the remainder of the roof. The sealant was Dicor self leveling. After a bit of a struggle, I found that using my bare finger dipped in water allowed me to work it perfectly smooth since its liquid curing. If I did it again I would put it in completely flush with height of the gutter, since it inevitably will shrink down some as it cures. Watch for any small air bubbles and keep a pick on hand to pop those.

Finally, I used Upol's Grip #4 in the gutters to further promote adhesion of raptor and used their #8 self-etch primer on other small rub through areas. I sprayed with their included gun @ 55psi which was fine on a 2.5Hp 21gal harbor freight 5.8CFM compressor.

Cheers,

James