Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #11

Re: Where to buy aftermarket black rear step bumper in So Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Have you talked to Aluminess or SMB about an OEM take off when they mount a new/aftermarket bumper?

Also, I would try Ramsey (Agile/Bajasportsmobile)

Yes, I've talked to Aluminess, and they ocasionally post the take-offs on the local CL. To date, no black step bumpers with sensor holes.

SMB has a deal with Fam Vans for their take-offs. Fam Vans wants $550 for a used black step bumper with sensor holes........

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #12

I was in the same boat......I bought a used step bumper from a forum member and then paid Olympic Powdercoat $180 to coat it black.

All told, I'm into it $230 and have a bumper that looks fantastic(and I had my choice of colors/gloss type).
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #13

Brian: As you may recall, I had a black step bumper that was a take off from a practically new van. It was the one you contacted me about.

The bumper was missing the top pad but otherwise like new...with one problem, no sensor holes. I contemplated drilling them but they have other (non-round) features and the bumper is thick steel requiring large metric hole diamters.....so here I am again..

I mounted and used the bumper for a couple of weeks, but then decided that I couldn't live without the reverse sensors.
2003 Honda Element
Old 10-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #14

Drill bits aren't that expensive, even for good ones, compared with the hassle of finding another bumper. I drilled several holes in my frame to mount a swaybar and airbags; can't imagine the bumper would be much harder to drill?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Drill bits aren't that expensive, even for good ones, compared with the hassle of finding another bumper. I drilled several holes in my frame to mount a swaybar and airbags; can't imagine the bumper would be much harder to drill?

IIRC the holes required are 23mm dia (good luck finding that drill bit) and each hole had "ears" at different rotational positions so that you don't mix up the corner sensors with the middle sensors............
2003 Honda Element
Old 10-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW

IIRC the holes required are 23mm dia (good luck finding that drill bit) and each hole had "ears" at different rotational positions so that you don't mix up the corner sensors with the middle sensors............
If you do eventually go down the "drilling hole" path, I've drilled a similar set of holes in the ford bumper (for different purpose), it really very simple and doesn't take more than 5~10 mins a hole. Use a decent quality drill bit to make a 5~10mm hole, use a stepped drill bit to open it up to size (24.5mm in my case), use a file for the notched out / ears areas.

Something like this will get you to the hole size you need. Just don't make the initial hole with it.
http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Titanium-St ... B000FZ2UOY

I would highly recommend you use cutting paste and a slow speed drill though, or you'll overheat the drill bits and ruin their cutting ability.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote