Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2015, 06:48 AM   #11

Garage
Re: Where to buy passenger van window "cages"?

could you build some kind of metal shield that is attached with something like this?

that way you could have solid window protection with the bikes inside and easily remove it when you have the seats in for passengers? utilitarian, but functional...

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #12

https://www.cargovanparts.com/product/F ... y-Duty-New

I know this isn't the specific window you are looking for, but they may have one for the one you need.

You may want to call them, they (Fam Vans) sell lots of "government owned, fleet maintained" vans (prison?) and they sell take off parts.
They may have some prisoner parts sitting around, and they are in CA.

No experience with them, etc.
Onefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #13

look through this list, they at least have cargo van and barn door grilles

http://www.weatherguard.com/en/products ... ccessories

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #14

I know that you are looking for a bolt in answer, but if you decide to fabricate some sort of cages yourself I do have a suggestion for the material.

Gridwall.

It's fairly cheap, it's strong, it's not ridiculously heavy (as long as you don't use the chromed type) & comes in many different sizes.

I've thought about using it in the very back of my E-350 to protect the windows and also to be able to strap/attach things to it. It's strength would depend mostly on how you decide to attach it to the van.
mk3mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:03 PM   #15

Thanks for that. That actually has been the best option I've come across so far. My Grandpa made a dog-divider for his Explorer out of gridwall many years ago and that has been my mental image of what I had in mind for DIY. The biggest hurdle with that is I'm just not real sure what the best way to attach it would be while keeping my OEM plastic trim panels?

I've been spending most of my free time lately working on converting our cargo trailer into something resembling a toy hauler, bringing an old Honda XL175 back to life, and building a few "frankenbike" supermini/dirtbikes. I know that as soon as I get everything else buttoned up and ready to go camping, I'll wish I had addressed those windows!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:02 AM   #16

If you have the rear seats out, you can always ditch the rear seat belts and build something that bolts into those holes.

Your cage would then go all the way to the floor, unless you built a support frame to all of the bolt holes. If you did it that way you could also maximize space by following the curve of the van a little closer.
mk3mike is offline   Reply With Quote