Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #21

Re: Who makes very tall roof for Extended Ford campers?

The odd thing about some of these very high roofs is that you may be able to have a permanent bed on top and still have enough headroom underneath to stand -- provided you are not too tall. In my case I'd probably make the overhead bed hinged at the van's very back so I could walk standing all the way back to the drop-floor step down. Might work with as little as 24- to 30-inch top, which are not that uncommon.

Reduced mileage and possible poor handling in crosswinds still concern me some if I decide to pursue this upgrade to my van. Thanks all for information and feedback.

Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeth
Check the post "they might be giants" under the classifieds section. Highest I've seen I think, but this particular one appears to be on a standard wheel base. Or just look here: http://888karplus.com/Vehicle_Details/d ... eID/334155
Rather than welding on a minivan top above an Econoline, some company use to cut previous-model Econolines horizontally along belt line and then inserted a 2-foot or so spacer in the middle. It worked very well for the airport shuttle business at IAH. They looked funny but felt wider than vans with fiberglass roofs.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
This beast is crazy tall. So much so I can't figure out why anyone would need so much height in a van.
That's where they hide the aerial surveillance pod.

One of these was in my neighborhood the other day. They definitely have more than one. 4WD - no Quigley badges, so I'm curious who did it. The officer driving was not very helpful when I asked him. I'm also including another detail of the front bumper.

Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg  
Old 03-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #24

okay, I found video. entertaining.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/02/terrah ... oking-van/

http://terrahawkllc.com
Old 03-02-2014, 11:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadcat
They definitely have more than one. 4WD - no Quigley badges, so I'm curious who did it.
My guess would still be Quigley, seeing how little droop the suspension has
And I don't see any beefy radius arms to indicate its a QuadVan, but it def has coils.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #26

I would've loved to have crawled underneath to take a photo, but I think that would've been a very bad idea
Old 03-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadcat
I would've loved to have crawled underneath to take a photo, but I think that would've been a very bad idea
You think? Those guys are a little paranoid to start with. They may just shoot first and question your intentions later.

Anyway, that top must be close to 4-feet tall, making the van around 11-feet or taller due to 4X4 lift. Must be a bitch to drive in cross winds if taken out on the highway. My guess is that these vans rarely leave urban areas.

Other than height it could make an interesting camper. The automated self-leveling jacks would be nice, like those of bigger RV rigs. And that top is so high that shorter people might be able to have a permanent overhead bed and still stand below. Or as a minimum that high a top could allow a conversion similar to the Westfelia below. I think it was call a James Cook but I'm not sure. It used the high roof to create a tiered floorplan if I recall correctly. Seeing one going down the road made me wonder how they didn't roll over. The height to width ratio was probably worse than a semi.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 03-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #28
Site Team

Garage

And people think the Nissan looks wierd?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #29

this gives a whole new meaning to penthouse!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #30

After looking at many different styles, the one I think would be the best compromise for us (if we keep van a few more years) is a 20-inch sport-type roof (called a bubble by one manufacturer). Below is a picture on a van very similar to mine -- except for the roof. Looks like it should provide enough standup headroom and be aero enough that it won't cost a fortune in added fuel, or add too much wind noise.

I've already seen excellent information on gel coat versus paint, but have a few questions on these tops:

Does SMB install this type or similar?

Are they reverse flange? That is, do they bolt through van roof?

How is 20 inches measured? Is it the top's overall height or does it add 20 inches to interior height?

If 20 inches is top itself, how much headroom does it add?

What's a good way to do inside? Headliner versus finished fiberglass, versus what else?

I'd like to get a little more familiar with what's involved before talking about options and costs with installers. Any information or comments is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg