Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2019, 12:38 AM   #11

Thanks to each of you for your time and wisdom, and here are my reactions to each:
Renegadeoverland-I am somewhat familiar with the Corbeau type of seat as I had something close to that in a European sportscar I put a lot of long distance miles on (and I was a lot younger). The purely ergonomic design makes up for a lot of road roughness but I was looking for some level of isolation from chassis movement.
JoefromSF-The Schell-Mann products look amazing but way out of the budget on top of the interior build I am in the middle of.
Adventurezoutside-You have confirmed a worry I had about the air ride seats. Is this from first hand experience? The seats I am considering have a lockout feature that takes the air ride function out of the system. At that point I think I should have about what I have now. I want the air ride seats for highway cruising.
Scotty-I understand the need for air with these seats but I have ARB air lockers and so the system already exists. Also the seats I am considering have integrated hand pump systems. Easier installation and no 12 volt pump failures. And many of these type of seats have integrated pumps for each seat.
So thanks again for your help. There seems to be no magic bullets but maybe the seat elves will come tonight and install the perfect answer

Greyswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:04 PM   #12

we ran air seats in a chase truck for a baja 1000 years ago, Bad idea, seriously get the right shocks with the right valving and it will amaze you
Adventurezoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
And then there's its big, expensive brother; Offroadaffordability.

Herb

That one is akin to unobtanium.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #14

Greyswann, I installed Bostrom air seats in a 1995 F-350 6.9L and I LOVED them!!! I own a 2003 E-350 7.3L Sportsmobile now which I custom built to accommodate my wheelchair and I too am looking to retrofit my seats. I think the SM seats are the cat's meow, but I may have to forgo them due to cost also. Most air seats come with a flat plate base and you can simply do a bolt-through installation on the floor. You will need an air compressor to utilize the air ride. The mechanical controls for tilt, lumbar, etc. were excellent and I didn't have to worry about motors, etc. breaking over time. I was only able to do a slight inflation so that my head would not hit the ceiling (I was 6' 2" and 185#) when going over "severe" bumps, but most of my driving was over the road and I'm telling you that they were the best darned seats I ever traveled on!!! I could drive ten hours (I was in my 30's) straight through, get out and move around like it was a walk in the park. So, it is important to take careful measurements to make sure you have plenty of headroom. The inflation will depend on your weight and height more than anything else. I am considering the Bostroms for my E-350 but I will have to forego the air ride since I use a power base to move the drivers seat back for accommodating my transfer from a wheelchair. Here is one vendor that may have a seat(s) that will suit (~All Seating Products | Superior Seating, Inc.). I hope my experience is of some help.
twotimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #15

Look at the 330 which swivels or the 330 models they work great for a lot less
https://www.surpluscenter.com/shop.a...uspension+seat
Gr8ful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeoverland View Post
Greyswan, I dont know exactly what level of suspension you are looking for, but I am strongly leaning toward these for my E-series

I'm very interested in hearing how these work out for you if you go this route.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #17

For what it's worth...There is just no comparison between stock van seats or the sofa-like American "RV" seats and the orthopedically-designed German Scheel-Mann seats. The OEM/RV seats might feel cushy and comfortable at first, but over the long haul they won't properly support your body. Scheel-Mann seats however implement the latest in orthopedic design/engineering to properly support your body so that on long distance drives your muscles can relax and you're truly comfortable. Not to mention the seats adhere to stringent European crash safety standards. Incredible attention to detail and craftsmanship as well, which is why they're valued at more $ than the lower grade RV seats. Check out this article;

https://expeditionportal.com/the-bes...n-seat-review/

Contact us with any questions.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Contact us with any questions.

Anyone 6'9+ & 250+# buy these seats and have positive things to say about them? (I'm very familiar with the idea that this world has been designed for "medium" and not tall people. Even that story linked only mentions people to 6'4...)

Presuming the seat bases Expo Vans are selling for these seats were designed in mind to retain "stock" seat height with a S-M seat, is it possible to get them built to a custom height?

-Erik
Old 04-05-2019, 06:01 PM   #19

Erik, you have asked the right question to the right guy.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:40 AM   #20

Just for the record mgmetalworks is correct; there is no comparison. The S-M seats are the cat's meow. I have researched them in depth and nothing out there compares.
twotimer is offline   Reply With Quote