Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
Anyone 6'9+ & 250+# buy these seats and have positive things to say about them? (I'm very familiar with the idea that this world has been designed for "medium" and not tall people. Even that story linked only mentions people to 6'4...)

Presuming the seat bases Expo Vans are selling for these seats were designed in mind to retain "stock" seat height with a S-M seat, is it possible to get them built to a custom height?

-Erik
Where are you located? I've sold seats to some tall customers (up to ~6'5") but I couldn't begin to tell you what the seat would feel like for someone your height (I'm just barely 6', 250+). I think it would be best to try to find a way to sit in the Vario XXL model since it has the taller seat back and the most adjustability. As for the mounts... Our adapters mate up to the stock seat base but they do feel a little different than the stock seating position. A custom base is possible.

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Where are you located? I've sold seats to some tall customers (up to ~6'5") but I couldn't begin to tell you what the seat would feel like for someone your height (I'm just barely 6', 250+). I think it would be best to try to find a way to sit in the Vario XXL model since it has the taller seat back and the most adjustability. As for the mounts... Our adapters mate up to the stock seat base but they do feel a little different than the stock seating position. A custom base is possible.

I pass through Oregon every now and then- it's likely that I'll be passing through sometime mid or late August on my way to Stanwood a bit north of Everett.
It would probably be better if I found a member somewhere in the Bay Area down in California who has a set of them and didn't mind letting me sit in them, or if there was a S-M carrier somewhere near SF/Oakland that I could go sit in a seat or two.

I have found that the standard seat position isn't bad, but sometimes wish it was an inch or so taller and an inch or two further back to get more leg room.

Not sure if seats are on the list for this summer or next summer, but I'm hoping to change them sooner rather than later.

Erik
Old 04-12-2019, 04:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
I have found that the standard seat position isn't bad, but sometimes wish it was an inch or so taller and an inch or two further back to get more leg room.
I second that. I'm 6'-2" & 250# and just bought a SMB built on a 1998 E250 platform. I had a 6+ hour drive home and really struggled trying to find a place to put my feet so my legs wouldn't cramp up. I wish I could move the driver's seat back 3" and up 2".
wltrmtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wltrmtty View Post
I second that. I'm 6'-2" & 250# and just bought a SMB built on a 1998 E250 platform. I had a 6+ hour drive home and really struggled trying to find a place to put my feet so my legs wouldn't cramp up. I wish I could move the driver's seat back 3" and up 2".
Really my primary concern of using something like 1.25" plywood (There are other methods too, I suppose) to move the seat up & back is that the van would likely become uncomfortable for others to drive.

Don't want to bother modifying the current seats if the likelihood of me tossing them and finding "other" seats (Whether they are E-Series replacements, Lariat seats with adapted bases, or S-M seats) is high. Really tempted to look for some Lariat seats (Heated, power, leather, etc) and just mount the whole thing 2" further back and (likely) several inches higher because of the way the floor designs are in the SuperDuties. Unfortunately, nobody seems to know how the overall dimensions of a Lariat SD seat compare to that of an Econoline. My guess is they are really quite close, but with the way my Quigley is currently set up, I probably only have an inch or two of play that makes the difference between "fitting nicely" and "nope".

I'm usually lucky to drive between 3 and 5K miles a year, but I would say 80% of those miles are from 800-1200 mile days driving from MT to California, sometimes stopping in Everett to see family.. So while yearly mileage is low by almost any standard... Having a nice seat for 10-17 hour days would be a huge plus.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #25

Late followup

As it turned out my wife said she could handle the ride and she truly did but we did our first long range trip to Montana from San Diego in normally 4 to 7 hour segments with short leg breaks. the OEM seats are comfortable enough with quality New Zealand sheepskin covers and lumbar support for my beat up back but any more than 7 hours could get ugly. An important aspect for me is the use of our swivel bases. Each seat is different so I have no idea of their origins. But my self built interior uses the swiveling seats as seating for our dining table and they are necessary. I (as everyone) have found that these big beautiful wheeled beasts can eat improvement money as efficiently as a boat. So eventually I will do the seat upgrade but with great care to assure my swivel capability. The passenger side has plenty of space but the driver side has about 1" to play with due to the steering wheel even with it tilted to the optimum position Thanks to everyone for their knowledge and suggestions. You guys are the best
Greyswann is offline   Reply With Quote