Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2008, 10:49 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Adventure Trailers

Anyone with one of the Adventure Trailers (AT) trailer models, what are your thoughts?

Horizon? Chaser ?

Has anyone ever had any trouble with one of these trailers?

Does anyone know of any trailers similar to the AT trailers?

They are proud of their products according to the prices, but they certainly look and sound nice. The Chaser seems a little more reasonably priced and also seems like it might fit our needs.

Thoughts? suggestions?

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:29 PM   #2

Adventure Trailers

Greg ,
The Chaser is as good a trailer as you could ever want , we liked the additional length as we are a multi activity family . My Chaser now belongs to my eldest son and has made more trip's down the Baja Peninsula than the Angeles Verde's ( Green Angels) with nothing more than a few of flat tire's and torn wiring from cross peninsula adventures . This trailer is sturdy enough to make numerous application change's , as you see fit .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
OK, I have started the research on the Adventure Trailer trailers..... but I am still looking for feedback from folks.

Does anyone recognize the sMB in these pics?

I am in contact with the Adventure Trailer folks, and they offered up some photos of a Horizon behind a SMB.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #4

They're awesome. We just sold ours. We had a fully outfitted Horizon. Mario and Martyn are great guys and they manufacturer really top notch quality pieces over there. We towed our AT behind a landcruiser 80 series and didn't even know it was there. We used it for overland travel and traveled through rough terrain and wash board roads with it. It's a great trailer. The nice thing was to setup camp and leave it and go explore. The reason why we sold it, was because the landcruiser and trailer was a package deal and it got us into the SMB. The other reason was my other half was tired of being in the elements and cooking outside all the time. She wanted to have a little more privacy and have a place to escape the elements. However, this being said i wish we had the denero to keep both. The SMB is a different ball game than having a locked and loaded landcruiser with a very capable trailer behind it. If you have any specific questions post up. Also , they talk about them all the time on the expedition portal.

Our last trip we ever took with it. Eastern Sierra's about 3 months ago

2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:52 AM   #5

Greg, the silver EB 4x4 belongs to a guy who lives a couple blocks from me in the Pasadena, CA area. He picked this rig up a few weeks ago from AT and has used it a number of times already.

I'll talk w/him and see if he can post a report on SMBf.

-Jeff
canyonclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:01 AM   #6

I bet they would be willing to build you a custom trailer. I really like thier suspension set up. If you have a SMB then you don't really need lots of the other stuff like the Kitchen, battery setup, etc. I've considered asking about a stripped down model like this just to haul extra firewood, bikes, chairs etc. And a place outside the van for my kids to sleep so my wife and I can have the whole van to ourselves.
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #7

Seth,

From my discussions, all the extras are for the most part options and thus can be omitted to create a stripped down version.

As for building somethign custom, they are proud of their product, and I don't even want to know what custom work would cost. (ouch)

I agree that the SMB has about everything we could need. I like the base camp capabilities of the SMB. The ability to leave a fridge and electrical and housing and such behind while the SMB is off exploring is kind of nice.

We are also looking at it as a way to carry kayaks and bikes and other extended trip gear without having to load it on top of the PHT where it would create more wind resistance.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #8

Adventure Trailer is developing a new trailer in partnership with an Australian company. It is a fold out tent that is much lower to the ground and does not require a ladder to enter the door. It unfolds from about belly height to ground level. It leaves two equal "rooms", one ground level and one at bed height. Most amenities remain mounted or designed in and around the outside like the current trailers.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #9

The new trailer design would seem to have to either lose storage volume or ground clearance.

In fact, if the trailer were an off-road trailer, and it were mounted with our tires (35in) and wheels (18in) , there would be almost no storage without losing a considerable amount of either storage or clearnace.

For us though, we are not looking at the tenting options for the Adventure Trailers. If we have to leave someone behind at a basecamp, they would either use one of numerous tents we already have, or use the awning room (6ft by 6ft) available from AT.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #10

If we judge by what Adventure Trailer has done in the past we can look forward to something useful and robust and likely better all around.

My van has the bed so I don't need a tent either. But this thing set up with one Diva patterned swing of the arm. Literally ready to go in 30 seconds.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote