Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2008, 05:52 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to bgoetting
Aftermarket Tow-Haul?

I just got my new rig, an '05 Ford Diesel, and will be pulling some big loads. It has an EOM class IV hitch but unfortunately the original window sticker says "Elec 5-spd AOD w/o Tow-Haul". I was reading about the optional tow-haul feature and it sounds like a useful thing, and is probably just a software addition, which also controls trailer brakes. I was wondering if there is an aftermarket version that anyone has seen?

Old 11-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #2

I thought tow-haul was alternate transmission programming/function, and not available on any E series, only the F. An aftermarket product that changes shift points etc. would probably be the closest thing.

And as far as I know trailer brakes are all in the brake controller. Ford provides a plug but not an actual controller.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #3

Don't know about after market set ups but tow haul is/was available on E series. It's on mine and I saw it as an option on many vans when I was shopping for mine. Can Ford add it after the fact if it's just a programming item?
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
What does your shifter have for the tow haul button? I looked at this when the van was in the dealership and the shifter on a rig that had it was completely different. I asked the service manager and he said they could put it on but would require tearing apart the column. I went no further to ask about the computer. All my shifter has is the button on the end to control the overdrive.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #5

My shifter says "Tow Haul" on it and you depress the button on the end to activate it or turn it off. The words "tow haul" light up when it is activated. I think it's the same as the overdrive activation. I'm not an expert on these vans and their various options. I just ended up with tow haul and after using it in several circumstances both when towing and when just driving in traffic I have come to appreciate it.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Old 12-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
So Chris, I was told by another owner if you tap the brake pedal the trany will downshift. Is this correct or does it just take it out of over drive?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #7

It down shifts. It takes more than a tap...at least in my usage towing a 2000lb. boat. It senses brake pressure and speed and acts accordingly. I suspect it's a little smother with a heavy load. Mine is pretty abrupt when it downshifts. I 've used it in stop and go traffic as well while not towing anything. It keeps you in a lower gear a little longer before it upshifts. Probably reduces mileage some but I like it as an engine brake.
If you are or will be in my area you are welcome to drive my van and see what it feels like.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Old 12-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites
It down shifts. It takes more than a tap...at least in my usage towing a 2000lb. boat. It senses brake pressure and speed and acts accordingly. I suspect it's a little smother with a heavy load. Mine is pretty abrupt when it downshifts. I 've used it in stop and go traffic as well while not towing anything. It keeps you in a lower gear a little longer before it upshifts. Probably reduces mileage some but I like it as an engine brake.
If you are or will be in my area you are welcome to drive my van and see what it feels like.
Now I'm really jealous. The only thing that happens when I tap my brakes is the torque convertor unlocks. When I would really like it to stay locked and downshift for more engine braking.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #9