Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #11

I'm interested in this. Wonder if the design will allow the axe/shovel kit to also be mounted on the box? I have the short Thule bars on top of my box and can only have one bike up there with the axe/shovel mounted. When I have two bikes up there I leave the axe/shovel in the van.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 03-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #12

I bet it'll be a vertical style rig that allows the bikes to be upright, rear wheel down. Place it along side a galley or deluxe box were the tire would ride... unless my eyes and ears were fooled.
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #13

The new rack looked pretty sweet. Square tubing instead of round. I believe Kenny said it could be retro-fitted to an older bumper for $600 but might be wrong about that.
Attached Thumbnails
aluminess bike rack.jpg  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #14

I have one on order for my 2007 SMB. I stopped in at Aluminess on my travels down to SD and Kenny measured up my bumper for fit. I should get the rack in the next few weeks.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:51 PM   #15

I designed a rack several years ago with 2x2 bars that attach to the swing arm above the box. I have a thule rack and am able to put 2 2 gallon water bottles and one 3 gallon diesel can underneath the rack. it works great. I was at the expo and their rack is pretty similer. I also was able to put a shovel and ax kit with shovel facing out. really doesn't matter which way the shovel is facing, all good!
berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:42 AM   #16

QUOTE "The new rack looked pretty sweet. Square tubing instead of round...."QUOTE

I was way off on what I thought I saw for the new rack! JoeH, I thought it was a vertical model. thanks for the shot.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:57 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmMay View Post
QUOTE "The new rack looked pretty sweet. Square tubing instead of round...."QUOTE

I was way off on what I thought I saw for the new rack! JoeH, I thought it was a vertical model. thanks for the shot.
If you want a vertical rack I would check out Recon Racks, they are defiantly the nicest vertical racks IMHO, would be perfect on a Sportsmobile with Aluminess rear tire and box, have tons of options, are super beefy and rigid for offroading specifically, and can hold up to 6 bikes.

Sadly I don't own one, I got a 1up USA rack right before I discovered them but wish I had a Recon instead. you can also get a floor mount and store bikes upright in the rack in your garage, they are very well designed and get better and better. The owner is also working on a nice stiff swing-arm (better than the current offerings from other suppliers) to totally clear the rear doors if you don't want the tip out method
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:09 PM   #18

Recon Rack Co

Thanks for the tip. Here's the page for anyone else that reads the thread...
Attached Thumbnails
Sprinter w Bike Rack.jpg  
Old 05-23-2017, 05:13 PM   #19

The recon is a nice rack. On par with the 1UpUSA in terms of quality. Price as well.

But, since this is an aluminess thread I'll side in favor of a bike rack mounted on the swing-away arm. I've danced around a tilting Yakima Holdup to access the rear barn doors and it's a PIA, or say you just want to take a quick shower after a ride. The Recon with 4 bikes is going to be upwards of 200lb that you have to tilt down and then back up. And you'd probably still need a hitch extender of 12 or 14" to clear an aluminess box.

The pro is you can more readily access the back. The con is you can only carry two bikes.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:32 PM   #20

We have introduced the Aluminess Bike rack swing arm option for Ford vans, full-size trucks, and Sprinters.

I included a couple of pictures and a link to the website page. Thanks for your interest!

Bike Rack Swing Arm | Aluminess

aluminess is offline   Reply With Quote