Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2019, 11:05 AM   #1

Comments, Suggestions and Ideas on Towing our Airstream....

Part of the job of this new van I think I need is asking it to tow our 19' A/S Bambi on occasion.

Specs say the dry weight of the trailer is about #3600 lbs & tongue weight is roughly #450. We almost never load water and my guess is we are rarely over #4200-4500. We have used a Reese Dual Cam WD hitch for the last 12 years towing with a Tacoma.

We are East Coast people, no great mountainous terrain like out west but not much on the flats either till we get to Fl, lots of ups and downs in between and up to ME.

I don't think we need or want a 4X4.

We've been thinking Pleasure Way Traverse because we like the layout and want the upstairs option. We also like our kayaks. At this stage of the game we are open to all except Hightops and Sprinter style vehicles.

What is your idea of the ideal setup ?

** No BS, No Stories, No Disappointments **
Headin' Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:03 PM   #2

As you probably already have... think about if you will be able to pop the top with the kayaks up there. The Traverse opening style should make it somewhat easier since you're only lifting one end. If they are white water boats maybe so (though also easier to load and unload). We carry sea kayaks on our SMB top and are able to pop without unloading because of the power lift mechanism. There would be no way with a manual top and it sure is convenient to not have to load/unload every time.

I think those traverses are cool too. Joe
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriver View Post
As you probably already have... think about if you will be able to pop the top with the kayaks up there. The Traverse opening style should make it somewhat easier since you're only lifting one end. If they are white water boats maybe so (though also easier to load and unload). We carry sea kayaks on our SMB top and are able to pop without unloading because of the power lift mechanism. There would be no way with a manual top and it sure is convenient to not have to load/unload every time.

I think those traverses are cool too. Joe
Thanks Joe... I've been wondering the same. Our boats are 12' and supposedly weigh in @ #45 each....

I saw mention of beefing up the gas struts but nothing definitive.

They are not always with us.... (the boats that is)
Old 02-01-2019, 06:28 PM   #4

With a full size van , may not need a WDH. Makes hookup easier. 2500 or 3500 would be even better.

A longer vehicle will prevent much more of the tail wagging the dog, so maybe an extended body is in order to give more space inside and provide better towing. But that's a baby trailer so no really serious needs. My ideal format is the VW Weekender layout - lay flat seat in back, turning passenger seat in front and the space a van affords.
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB123 View Post
With a full size van , may not need a WDH. Makes hookup easier. 2500 or 3500 would be even better.
A longer vehicle will prevent much more of the tail wagging the dog, so maybe an extended body is in order to give more space inside and provide better towing. But that's a baby trailer so no really serious needs. My ideal format is the VW Weekender layout - lay flat seat in back, turning passenger seat in front and the space a van affords.
The weekender is nice but we want a few more amenities: a stove, heat, refer of size..... I like the layout of the VW Eurovan myself, that's all the Traverse is really and probably the subliminal attraction !

The Bambi is small and nimble and will follow the Tacoma wherever it goes.. I'm afraid I'll miss that with a full sized van.

WD is always a good idea in my book.... once it's dialed in it doesn't really take any time to connect the bars.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:14 PM   #6

A grim reminder of stuff that can happen....

These folks lost a rear tire from their E350 while pulling their 30 footer around lunchtime today on Rt 95 in Palm Coast, FL

Thankfully it is reported that everyone was walking and talking at the scene.
Attached Thumbnails
20190201_223418.jpg   20190201_223358.jpg  
Old 02-05-2019, 07:39 AM   #7
B^2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headin' Out View Post
A grim reminder of stuff that can happen....

These folks lost a rear tire from their E350 while pulling their 30 footer around lunchtime today on Rt 95 in Palm Coast, FL

Thankfully it is reported that everyone was walking and talking at the scene.
I wonder if they had checked the tire pressure before their trip. Scary stuff.
B^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B^2 View Post
I wonder if they had checked the tire pressure before their trip. Scary stuff.
It was actually the entire wheel that fell off, so I don't think tire pressure was a factor in this accident.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #9

We love our Sprinter 3500 Roadtrek RS Adventurous. Have hauled our 7X20 VRV Livin'lite toyhauler loaded with dirtbiks all over. Does really good and we're below the weight ratings.

The Sprinter is up for sale priced at $78,000 with 65,000 miles, as we plan our custom build.

I don't think it would be too difficult to find a Sprinter for sale at a reasonable price.
Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB123 View Post
A longer vehicle will prevent much more of the tail wagging the dog
Length without wheelbase will do the opposite. So for towing, a Ford E-series EB will be worse than the RB. But, for that size trailer, I wouldn't think it's an issue.

-Mike
FloridaNative is offline   Reply With Quote