Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Trying to find a swing-away 2 bike carrier that can hold 2 - 65 lb each, fat tire ebikes?

Also open to a non swing away but prefer to open back doors.
Carl, Glad you started this Post.

We are in the same predicament - some great suggestions so far from others that we had not uncovered in our search - also looking forward to see what you decide.
Do you have the Aluminess bumper with Tire & box ? working around those has been our issue.
Havent purchased our e-bikes yet, but believe we'll do that sometime this April.

***Rented some in Fayetteville West Virginia at an Adventure Resort this past year to see if we would like them - I was amazed...felt like riding my old dirt bike!

Old 01-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #12

Yes, I have 35" tire and Aluminess box which I will need to clear. My thought is to pick the best rack, best swing away, and then use as little or no extension if possible.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #13

Garage
Hi. Take a look at the Yakima Spareride, that mounts on the spare tire. It's what I'm going to get, holds two bikes, locks included. There's a Video too, Google it.
Cheers Doug
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:05 PM   #14
tlg

Garage
Carl,
The Kuat swing out carrier is made by Rack Attach. I did a thread on our Rack Attach. Was custom fit to accommodate the Aluminess bumper. No hitch extension needed. It’s a great piece of gear and highly recommended. Recall the weight load being 350 lbs. PM me if you need contact info.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ier-19037.html
Old 01-19-2018, 03:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug View Post
Hi. Take a look at the Yakima Spareride, that mounts on the spare tire. It's what I'm going to get, holds two bikes, locks included. There's a Video too, Google it.
Cheers Doug
Seems like 130 pounds of e-bike + the spare tire + the rack itself would be a lot to hang off the spare tire mount? Plus the SpareRide is only rated to hold two bikes at 35# each...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:10 PM   #16

swing...

I cannot seem to get a good answer from anyone and maybe you can offer a suggestion.

Rakattach seems to have sold their design of swing away to Kuat for their large version. When I spoke to Rakattach they said I may run into trouble opening our doors with rear 35" tire on left and Aluminess bumper/galley box on the right.

Wilco I am unsure of and have contacted them leaving a message.

Seems the concerns are distance from receiver hitch pin back to clear the aluminess bumper which hangs above. 2nd concern is opening far enough to allow not only the door to open but the swinging aluminess box on right side.

any pictures or thoughts would be great.

Rakattach will not make me a custom unit at this time.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Old 06-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #17
tlg

Garage
Carl, the SMB custom Rak Attach is significantly longer (both swing arm and receiver end) than the Kuat Large version. No hitch extension needed needed and the custom variant could carry up to 350 pounds. I'll take the measurements again over the weekend and post them here. At least that way you'll have an idea of the exact difference.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:23 AM   #18

Swinger

I can’t seem to get Walter to make me another SMB version??
Old 06-11-2018, 11:00 PM   #19

I just picked up a Kuat Pivot and do need a hitch extension to clear both the Aluminess bumper as well as the Deluxe Box. Not a big deal but it did mean an additional locking hitch pin. So yet another key on the "thwart the thieves" key ring.

I also needed an extension to use it on my Wrangler since the locking lever hits the rear spare tire without an extension.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #20

Kuat

Please post some pictures open and closed also extension
Thanks!