Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #21

Here are some pictures of the RakAttach when I was test fitting it on the back of my Sprinter, they might help add some clarity. In this case I had to add a 2" drop to allow the tire swing to clear the RakAttach. The drop added enough extension (8") to allow clearance for the spare tire and the Aluminess box.

I tried lots of combinations and ultimately decided that a 3" raise (provided an 8" extension) and the Add-A-Bike carrier (for my 155# minibike) without the RakAttach is the best combination for me.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #22

Anyway you can put a bike or two on rack and show the swing away trying to open doors/tire, with bikes on it?
My concern is that ideally the extension allows room to fully open my doors and my tire is larger.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Please post some pictures open and closed also extension
Thanks!
I slapped a rack on and gave it a shot. I have a three bike Thule rack that holds bikes by the top tube. The position closest to the vehicle won't allow the box swingarm to open fully. With a bike in the second slot there was no issue. I plan to get a 1 Up hitch rack so I'll need to measure to see if it will work before I order one.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2018, 06:33 AM   #24

so on the E350 with standard Kuat rack, a bike on the first and one on second holder you can't open right rear door or how far?

I am trying to determine my ability to take larger items in and out of the back and if one or both doors can open, and how far.

I notice you are also using an extension to clear back box/tire. How long?

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
so on the E350 with standard Kuat rack, a bike on the first and one on second holder you can't open right rear door or how far?

I am trying to determine my ability to take larger items in and out of the back and if one or both doors can open, and how far.

I notice you are also using an extension to clear back box/tire. How long?
I'm using an 11" hitch extension since that is what I had on hand. With the Kuat Pivot I can fully open the rear doors with a bike in the 2nd slot on the rack. So the middle and outside slot are usable. A longer hitch extension would work to get all three bikes on it.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltilley View Post
I slapped a rack on and gave it a shot. I have a three bike Thule rack that holds bikes by the top tube. The position closest to the vehicle won't allow the box swingarm to open fully. With a bike in the second slot there was no issue. I plan to get a 1 Up hitch rack so I'll need to measure to see if it will work before I order one.

Jones Handlebar?!
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoTerryh View Post
Jones Handlebar?!
Yeah. I have the 710 mm Loop bars on a couple of bikes and really like them. I want to try the Surly Moloko bars just for fun but have no real reason to since the Jones are about perfect.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:24 PM   #28

My buddy has a Jones that is (supposedly) his daughter's bike. ;-) He put a Jones handlebar on his new mountain bike and raves about it.
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #29

I would love a Space Frame Jones with truss fork but will have to settle for the bars for now. I have heard nothing but positive things on the Jones frames.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #30

Wilco had a booth at the Overland Expo. They didn’t have a HitchSwing on display, but I could look at tire swings and got the impression that of all the swing aways, theirs was the strongest. It has a wedge that reduces vibration, and two 2” receivers. One stays put and one swings out. You use the receiver that swings out to slide your own bicycle rack into. We have a Kuat NV but I saw several One Ups on the various displays. I also purchased their hitch extension in case the rack won’t clear the spare tire and it also has a wedge in it (which my current extension doesn’t). Looking foreward to trying it out.
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote