Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2018, 07:42 PM   #1

Fat Tire E-Bike swing away carrier?

Trying to find a swing-away 2 bike carrier that can hold 2 - 65 lb each, fat tire ebikes?

Also open to a non swing away but prefer to open back doors.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:33 PM   #2

https://www.aluminess.com/bike-rack-swing-arm-4//
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:22 PM   #3

Garage
Let’s see a pic of the fatties

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2018, 04:30 AM   #4

Hmmm, that’s going to be a hard one due to the weight. Thule makes a platform tilt-down rack rated for e-bikes.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:22 AM   #5

Not sure a rack alone will handle what you want to do. Here's my two piece set-up. Should work for your purposes:

https://www.quikrack.com/quikrack-mach-2-hd/

Large Swing out
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:16 AM   #6

Well, I take back my earlier comment. The Yakima FullSwing rack is rated for 160 pounds (surprisingly). I have this rack on my SMB and like it a lot. Another issue to consider is lifting a 65 pound bike (x2) up onto a rack might not be much fun.

Thule's e-bike rack (EasyFold2) allows you to roll the bikes up onto the rack. Not sure if it tilts down or not. Even if it does, 130 pounds is a lot to lift up and down. https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...ld-2-_-1684676
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:31 PM   #7

So far it looks like Kuat has just come out with a Swing Away Arm that can fit any 2" and this can be combined with Hollywood Racks Fat Ebike carrier or most any other carrier rated to carry the added weight of 2 heavier Ebikes. Still looking for any other ideas that are proven to work on an E-350 with Aluminess rear bumper/tire, etc.....

2010 SMB
Old 01-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #8

This is less a recommendation and more of a, I don't think this will work for you even if modified, post. I've been using a Rocky Mounts Backstage swing away since last summer and it works for my needs but I don't think it could handle two 65lb E Bikes. Especially if you added an extension to clear the Aluminess goodies. Not to mention if you go off road with it. Normally my bike on the rack weighs around 50lbs as I will remove the battery, rear bag, and seat while on the rack. With my bike and another regular mountain bike it seems to be at the limit of what the Backstage can handle. When going off road I'll put ratchet straps down to the bumper for stability and if it's really, really rough I'll fold my bike and just put it in the van.

Just wanted to perhaps save you some time if you were considering the Rocky Mounts Backstage. For what your looking for I think you need something stronger. It's a very nice, sturdy rack and compared to some not quite as expensive for a swing away.

BrianW brings up a good point as my rack is about as high as I want to lift my heavy E Bike. Especially if I'm tired. What doesn't help is the Backstage has small tire trays that you need to land the bike on while holding it at shoulder height. Well, my shoulder height.

Good luck on your search

- Eric

The square tail lights do not come with the rack. I added those to help "friendly" Colorado drivers. Also in the pictures the second bike tray isn't there but you do get two.

"What was your question about the license plate again Officer?"

ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #9

I found that the Hollywood Rack makes a rack on Etrailer 1455E part number that carries 2 Fat Tire Bikes rated for 80 lbs per bike. (160 max)
They claim that the Kuat swing arm is rated for 250lbs.

2010 SMB
Old 01-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #10

Garage
Wilco Offroad makes some swing away carriers, not a bike rack though. One could mount a different rack for the bikes on the Hitchswing, such as the Thule or Quik-Rack above, or even use a cargo carrier as a base. I've been using the Hitchswing to carry a box and it has held up well. Rated for 300 pounds.

Hitchswing: https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchswing/

Hitchgate Max (would not clear rear boxes, tires, etc.):
https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-max/