Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2015, 11:37 PM   #11

Re: Fatbikes, MTB E-Bikes and more.

I'm a bit of a bike nut & currently have a Rivendell, Bike Friday Tikit ,Bianchi Milano, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Karate Monkey & , Surly Pugsley. The Pugsley is my current commute bike & is a ton of fun. My commute is offroad on hard pack with some sand & it works pretty well for that. It is heavier but the fun factor makes up for it.

I haven't seen the need for electric assist for what I do yet. Even on the cargo bike with 200 lbs of stuff I haven't ever wanted assist & I live in a very hilly area. I've got a friend tha commutes on an electric bike & he likes it quite a bit.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:28 AM   #12

Great pics BrianW! My wife and I have a Cannondale road tandem but unfortunately it isn't getting used much these days. Still, no plans to sell and we love to ride it when we can. We've done a few metrics and mostly training, but due to our opposite work schedule and young kids it's hard to do much riding. I really look forward to getting back in to it again soon.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #13

This family triple tandem is the strangest, coolest tandem ever. I love it!!!

My kid is 15 months old, for now he rides in a chariot trailer behind me, and mom doesn't ride. Maybe with the triple I can tow em both!!!!
Old 01-19-2015, 12:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by prally
This family triple tandem is the strangest, coolest tandem ever. I love it!!!

My kid is 15 months old, for now he rides in a chariot trailer behind me, and mom doesn't ride. Maybe with the triple I can tow em both!!!!
We started with a tandem back in 1994, moved to the tandem with a trailer when our son was born, and now have him on the triple.

Triples are nothing... you should see a quad or a quint tandem in person. I can't imagine piloting one of those. Our triple is 10 feet long by itself.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #15

Keep it coming, I am learning. Interesting to learn about assisted being allowed where others are not.

If one is camping in the wild, how best would one charge up? Can one charge off the 12 volts provided by a generator like the Honda or Yamaha 2000, or does one use the AC? How long would one have to run a generator to charge a couple of bikes?
Old 01-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #16

In Europe, especially Germany, e-bikes are so prominent that charging stations are commonly available many places, especially along popular long distance bike routes. Restaurants, museums, and even stores offer them, usually for free. The idea is that you plug your bike in and then spend an hour or so - and your money - at the establishment. It's amazing to see how e-bikes have quickly caught on in Europe, but it makes total sense with the bike path infrastructure in many countries, coupled with an aging but still active population.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
couple with an aging but still active population.
Embarrassing but true for us. My wife just needs some assist on the hills.

Fat tires are the wrong direction for us, I have gone skinny tire. Out west most everything is hard pan so I use a skinny bicycle cross tire on the rear of my 29er to reduce the effort needed to pedal. I get plenty of odd looks, but it works too well to cave in.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #18

A four-legged alternative to e-assist. A standard skijoring harness and line work pretty well for us.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140302_124218150 (800x450).jpg  
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcnick
Keep it coming, I am learning. Interesting to learn about assisted being allowed where others are not.

If one is camping in the wild, how best would one charge up? Can one charge off the 12 volts provided by a generator like the Honda or Yamaha 2000, or does one use the AC? How long would one have to run a generator to charge a couple of bikes?

Hi,

1.5a charger for 3-4 hours. From a nearly dead bike battery. I have used a small 300w inverter before in my 4Runner while remote for 3-4 days.
Yes I use a Honda inverter all the time.

Ebikes - higher speeds, larger wattage. Higher than maximum limits. (NOT LEGAL IN MANY AREAS)

Electric Assist, Pedal Assist, AKA - Pedelec.......this is simply put.
you only get assistance while pedaling. No throttle. No magic button.
The Electirc assist is meant to be less than 500w (some states less than 1,000w)

So if you fit under a certain amount of parameters. You are NOT to be considered a motorized vehicle.
You are considered a bicycle.
This is very similar to how EUrope does it.....although they have such a high population density that there speeds are regulated to 16mph.......
3-SMB's E250's, E350's - (SOLD)
Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:27 PM   #20

[quote="Wheelie1.5a charger for 3-4 hours.[/quote]

Thanks, looks like one could have 3 or 4 packs and then charge them all up in a 4 hour period from one generator.

Your bikes look beautiful. If you ever come to Tahoe for our famous Flume Trail or Tahoe Rim Trail look me up. I live right at the bottom.

I fear I have been shopping more ghetto: mid drive Bafang and battery holders from alibaba. Batteries from our computer recycler and a 5 speed from craigslist. I know I am inviting criticism about flaming battery packs in wilderness areas and my 70 old year wife pushing 90lbs of bike back home. Therefor I welcome any suggestions of off the shelf bikes that would be better.