Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2016, 10:23 AM   #31

Garage
Thanks for responding dosmars! Good info and i appreciate it.

I mainly ride downhill, but realize that sometimes there's not always a shuttle option. So we earn our turns when needed. Do people use the fatbikes for dh?

I've moved away from multi bike ownership but can completely see why these things would be fun on sand and snow. Just not sure if my wife and I are good candidates for going fat. Plus reracking will also be a large expense. Are these fatbikes that much more fun? Fun enough to make it worth converting?

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:29 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosMars View Post
My buddy picked up a Surly fat tire for a few of the off the beaten path trips he's done. I got to try it out on one Baja trip and was amazed at how nice it was riding around in the beach dunes. I was able to cover the same ground beachcombing in 45 minutes that would have taken me hours on foot. The idea is to ride with around 5psi and you get the same kind of floatation as when airing down the van tires in soft sand.

This was an aluminum frame Surly Pugsley fatbike and he decided he wanted a sturdier frame so I bought it off of him. I love beach combing and figured it would be good insurance to have an alternate form of transportation along when we're off at some of the more remote spots we like to explore.

Question: can you bolt on an assisted peddling system or do you have to buy a bike with it incorporated into the bike? I'm liking the idea of extending that range if we do need to ride out for some reason.

-Mark

Mark,

feel free to reach out and or PM me.

I am one of the owners of Defiant Bicycle and American Electric Bicycle Motors.
I manufacture Electric Assist Fat Tire bikes. I also offer Conversion Kits to add electric assist to bikes.

Be careful on what you spend money on. It's quite popular to import Chinese inferior products right now.

I am manufacturing Bicycles and importing European (German) Motors and Batteries for both business models.

I am direct to Bike dealers and not to the Consumer. but am more than happy to help.
3-SMB's E250's, E350's - (SOLD)
Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #33

I am in the market for one and seriously considering RadRover ebike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tienckb View Post
I am in the market for one and seriously considering RadRover ebike.

feel free to PM me,

You get what you pay for..........All these Chinese E-bikes are marketing the wild west and absolutely no control.
junk is junk and quality that will last has a proper warranty.

Without trying to sell my own product and or try to. Note: Return on your money is key.
What I mfg is similar, but is a quality product. I can barely get it to dealers and make money and they're $3799, Thousands of miles of reliable service & fun.
Not a imported crapper.
3-SMB's E250's, E350's - (SOLD)
Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:17 PM   #35

I've always wanted a Rohloff hub on a bike & am sold on fat bikes so I've pre-ordered a Tumbleweed. Looking forward to doing some bike touring on it once they are ready.

http://www.tumbleweed.cc/tumbleweed/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2016, 06:39 AM   #36

In August my family and I spent a few weeks in Germany and Austria doing some bike touring. E-bikes have absolutely taken over the paths there! It's crazy. We'd be toiling up a hill and some 75-year-old grandmother would easily pedal past us. It gets to be hard on the ego!

I'm coveting one of these Co-Motion e-tandems with belt drive and Nuvinci hub. I'm sure you could swap out that hub for a Rohloff and really have the ultimate ride. (I'm not sure why they didn't use a Rohloff to start with.) See https://www.pinterest.com/pin/529032287450693796/

BTW, here's our bike touring rig from last month. I have two additional motors on the back! :-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltilley View Post
I've always wanted a Rohloff hub on a bike & am sold on fat bikes so I've pre-ordered a Tumbleweed. Looking forward to doing some bike touring on it once they are ready.

http://www.tumbleweed.cc/tumbleweed/

Hi RL, I like your idea. I think a rigid rear and Rohloff would be perfect for a belt drive though. I highly recommend Ventana bikes and their Gordo which may have some advantages over the tumbleweed. Cyclemonkey in Richmond, CA is the US service center for Rohloff and has built up just about every kind of fat bike/Rohloff combo, and could be a great resource for you. https://www.cyclemonkey.com

I've had a the same Rohloff hub on 5 different 29ers over the last 14 years, and it's still going strong. I've replaced so many drivetrains on my wife's bikes over the years that it would have saved a lot of time/money to have gotten her one long ago.

BTW- here's a picture on my electric assist quadricycle (and yes, I've got a garage full of all kinds of bikes, but mostly mountain)

Beached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:06 PM   #38

Having been in the bike industry a long time ago and, now, being involved w the outdoor industry, I know this has to be THE most contentious issue right now in mountain biking.

Basically, bring this up on a mtn bike forum and you would be better off discussing politics or religion.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:46 PM   #39

I thought about belt drive but would need a frame designed for it. Chains are easier to source as well. That Gordo does look nice! Thanks for the tip on Cycle Monkey as well. I checked out their site & they are right up my alley. They even carry Sinewave products which I intend to add to the upcoming build to wire into the dynohub.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #40

Garage
I've had a Radrover for the past year have 400+ mi and love it. $1,500 good bang for buck, great once at camp vehicle.
Steadijib is offline   Reply With Quote