Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2019, 07:36 AM   #1

Flat towing w/towbar

I found a pretty good article on adapting commercial towbars to bigger rigs, and flat towing, that I thought I'd share

https://www.roundforge.com/articles/...-bar-adapters/

Old 10-01-2019, 11:07 AM   #2

Wow, it looks like there are plenty of adapters available to fit a wide variety of applications. Sadly, I, like so many other folks don't have D ring mounts, so I'm limited in a recovery situation to a single line winch pull. Were I to need a tow, I'd most likely need to pull the bumper and bolt directly to the frame, but having wrestled the front bumper for my SMB yesterday it was clear that pulling one in the field would be quite difficult. It took two of us, and a bunch of rigging to get it back into position and being made of steel with a 12K winch it's crazy heavy. I would assume an Aluminess bumper would be far better, and since they now make them with D ring mounts, there are a ton more options for recovery and towing. Perhaps I should get a new bumper, and a tow bar. That would cover about any break down scenario, (assuming you are with a group) and the cost would probably be the same as one back country remote recovery. Huummmmm............................
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:18 PM   #3
Orv

Garage
Depending on how far you expect to be towed, a rope tow may be an option. It also works on rough ground that tow bars can't handle. However, it requires the towed vehicle to have good, working brakes and steering, since the tow line must be kept tight (which means the towed vehicle ends up doing most of the braking).