Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #1

Ford E150 Tow Mirror options

I have a 2008 E150 XLT. The van currently has the solid arm that extends out and wraps around a single mirror on each side. Its OEM setup. They are elec-adjust from the arm-rest.

We plan to tow a toy hauler on occasion, and I'd like to have mirrors that stick out a bit further.

The 350 comes with the larger telescopic 2-mirror setup that is attached by 2 round shafts. I am curious if anyone has swapped out the smaller for larger ones? The question is if the window frame can accommodate? And how big a deal is it to rewire.

I am also open to the idea of using add-on temporary mirrors. As we wont always have the trailer, I like this for the budget and retaining an ever so slightly narrow profile. We currently enjoy the option of parking the van and a Honda Fit (our off-setting 35mpg vessel) in the same carport. Its tight and mirrors could be the last straw.

So just curious if anyone has mirror ideas.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Ford-4x4-Van.jpg  

Old 09-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #2

Re: Ford E150 Mirror options

Yes, it is a direct swap. Doors on the 150 and 350 are same as well as the mounting holes on both types of mirrors. There are two types manual or power. The power all use the same connector located in the door. Good luck.
spurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Getting mine from the big brown truck Wednesday Hope its as easy as spurious says regarding wiring and install. Bought it off of ebay, much cheaper than dealer. Good luck.

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren85022
We currently enjoy the option of parking the van and a Honda Fit (our off-setting 35mpg vessel) in the same carport. Its tight and mirrors could be the last straw.
The dual-post tow mirrors can fold flat against the doors, so that shouldn't be an issue (just maybe a slight inconvenience).

Brent
Old 09-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #5

You do have to pull the door panels to get to the electrical connector and to one bolt. The connector attaches to the door by a clip along the front. Sometimes hard to find. Make sure when you receive them they are true ford. A lot of sellers call them OEM but they are Chinese.
spurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgeek33
Getting mine from the big brown truck Wednesday Hope its as easy as spurious says regarding wiring and install. Bought it off of ebay, much cheaper than dealer. Good luck.
Surfgeek, did you get the power adjust models? I'd be very interested in hearing (and seeing) how much fun you had installing. Feel free to post any instructional photos you might think to snap.

thx!
Old 09-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #7

Re: Ford E150 Tow Mirror options

Assuming you are swapping power mirrors for power mirrors it should be an easy project. As already mentioned you do have to pull of the interior door panels to do this. Here are a couple pictures from my gallery about how to remove the panels.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #8

[quote="sdwindansea"]Assuming you are swapping power mirrors for power mirrors it should be an easy project. As already mentioned you do have to pull of the interior door panels to do this. Here are a couple pictures from my gallery about how to remove the panels.

Thanks, thats what I was hoping to learn about. And is it correct that the wiring connectors mate up?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgeek33
Can you tell me who/where you purchased?
Old 09-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Will post pics and project once I recieve it. Thanks for the tip sdwindansea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren85022
Can you tell me who/where you purchased?
Got it from a guy on Ebay. Paid less than $200 for the pair of Power Mirrors. Dealer wanted $395 each I'll let you know how they look.

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote