Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2016, 10:39 PM   #11

Garage
Why the worry of negating?

Old 11-05-2016, 06:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Why the worry of negating?

My hitch (and most others I'd imagine) bolts on right where the crumple zone is in the frame, basically spanning it with rigid metal. I assume that it would keep the frame from crumpling in an accident as designed.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I actually just took off my front hitch. Never really use it. Figured why haul around the extra weight up front. I was leaving it on as recovery point (I'm 2WD), but will probably just install a tow hook somewhere. I was also concerned about it negating the E-vans' already pathetic crumple zone in the front.
Hey Brian W wanna sell that ? I'd have to make sure it'll bolt up to my frame with the UJOINT spring hangers possibly in the way.

I consider myself a half-assed perfectionist
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillvanin View Post
Hey Brian W wanna sell that ? I'd have to make sure it'll bolt up to my frame with the UJOINT spring hangers possibly in the way.

I'll think on it. Kinda like having it in case I need to out a second bike rack on the van, but realistically I probably won't reinstall it.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:41 PM   #15

Here's a pic of where my front hitch mounted. You can see the mounting holes and the corrugated frame crumple zone.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:54 PM   #16

Not happy that Aluminess doesn't make it more clear when you by a bumper from them that you must specify you want the front hitch. I bought a bumper last year and if they had told me there are two models one with and one without I would have bought the hitch right there and then. Installed.

Unfortunately I cut off the entire skid plate as per their bad instructions. Now I see in the picture from the above board member I could have cut a square hole in the skid plate. Why don't they just make an instruction sheet for people that's clear as to what to cut. I called repeatedly and got different answers depending on who I spoke with on how to retrofit it. I guess isn't a big deal as it's a small skid plate that hangs down. but I paid good money for it. Also they designed it incorrectly it should just hang lower down so you don't have to hack it to pieces to clear the bottom lip. Really annoying.
Lcavalletti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drawtite, front hitch, hitch, towing