Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #21

Re: Gnarvan has a new friend

Awesome pics. Still looking for an FJ40 hope to be an owner soon.

Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel
Gnarvan, I think I have your 40's grandpa.
Maybe a meetup sometime.

Brad
Brad

Do you tow your short wheel base friend? I've been dying to head up to Mt Adams and do some exploring. There are also some areas up on Mt. St. Helens I'd like to check out. I've still got a couple of bugs to work out with The 40 before I get out and play hard with it.

I'd love to meet up sometime. Do we have the makings of a PNW meeting of the SMB forum starting here?

By the way, what year is that Yeller thing of yours? What's it's story?

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #23

Garage
Gnarvan has a new friend

My dad bought it when I was 12 for hunting. I'm 45 so it has been a friend for a while. It is a '42 GPW. Unfortunately (maybe) I was young and naive in High School and thought it would be better with tougher gear so I traded all the stock running gear with the less than honest owner of the now gone Jeep parts. At the time it was the biggest jeep and willys parts collection in the US. He made off with my parts on it now sits on CJ or Wagoneer front and rear ends and a T 90 tranny. The tranny part is fine as it had no syncros and would top out at 40. I've rolled it, swamped it, jumped it, and left most of my Bronco buddies in the dust as it is small and agile. It has not been in 4 wheel drive in so long I should probably rebuild the selectro locking hubs. I know Adams and StHelens really well in snow but not so much in summer. A PNW fall campout/meetup would be great. I've also had tons of whitewater experience but currently have no boats. I'd be game for something. Maybe a beer to discuss.

Brad
Old 08-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #24

Gnarvan, the 40s looking really good... those things sure are cool...

vandiesel, your Jeep looks good too...

When I was about three my dad bought a red 1960 Jeep with a sliding door hardtop and a plow brand new. When I was about 12 he taught me how to drive with it... I got really good with a clutch thanks to that Jeep driving back and forth around our house and my dads shop... I havent thought about that thing in years until I saw yours and read your story...thanks for the memories...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #25

I decided to dive into a few wiring jobs on The 40. First I purchased a new battery tray from a local company called Landcruiserspecialities. It's a one man shop thing and all he works on is Land Cruisers. He has a huge selection of used parts.

Since I was replacing the battery tray I figured I put in a new battery. Every time I dig into the wires on this rig I find massive amounts of CHEESE. This is what I found today. The red wire was scabbed into the battery cable terminal. The long black wire was a direct line to the alternator. The other wire goes into something. It had been spliced and soldered in two spots with 3 seperate wires coming off it going nowhere. All wrapped under a wad of black tape.

Marc I feel your pain! Just say no to Cheezy wiring jobs!

Old 10-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #26

Thought I'd update the forum on some of the recent upgrades to Gnarvan's friend "The 40".

I just got "The 40" back from Landcruiser Specialties out in Oregon City, Oregon. I had it converted from a 3 speed to a 4 speed transmission. One side benefit of having the conversion done was a change to the transfer case setup. On the Toyota Landcruiser transfercases you can remove a shift gate and give yourself a 2-Low option. I now have 2Hi, 2Low, 4Hi and 4low.

I've been driving it around town all morning and am amazed at how much more civilized it drives with the 4 speed. I may go out this afternoon and find some mud to play in.

The conversion consisted of replace the following parts.

Flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, transmission, clutch slave cylinder, driveline work and frame crosmember work. While I was getting it done I had the used 4 speed tranny rebuilt and had the transfer case gone through. I also had a new rear main seal on the engine installed.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #27

Gnar, haven't looked at this thread in awhile. Lookin' good! I'd love to find one of those, I'm keeping my eye open on CL, etc. I'd actually like to find any year Landcruiser.

Hey, BTW, come on over to TN when you get ready to paint Gnarvan's roof. I've still got my scaffolding from painting mine. It's fun to practice painting on other people's vehicles!!!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote