Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #51

Re: Hitch Motorcycle carrier feedback please

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much8ntenough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
My handlebars hit my spare tire and that is before compressing the front forks to tie it down with ratchet straps to the carrier. This is with the 14" extension. The spare is a 34" tire.

I load my wtf250x backwards for this reason. I line it up to the ramp oof the Versahaul and back it up from the front of the bars - in front of the bike. Pretty easy, and I've only dropped the bik once - heh.
I roll up my bike backwards on my van with the Versahaul also. Easy with a dirtbike - not as easy with a heavier road going motorcycle. I use an extension too.
I roll my bike up forwards on my mini truck (no spare out back).
Get the anti rock device - works good.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #52

I wonder if anyone has had any issues with the bike or other things blocking the brake lights or the license plate. In the past I had a carrier utilizing two hitch receivers, and a set of boat trailer lights that plugged into the trailer plug, and were bolted to the channel the bike sat on. I also moved the license plate back, but I don't see many people doing that. Is it not really an issue?.................
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:24 AM   #53

Garage

^^^ when I have the yamaha on the back, it completely blocks plate, but tails are easily visible. i drove around like this for half the summer before i realized i never hooked up my third brakelight after installing topper, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxacceleration
I roll up my bike backwards on my van with the Versahaul also.
i have the cheap ebay version of the versahaul and it works really well for the price ($200). it will need an 18" extension to fit 2 bikes though as it was designed for 2 bikes with one of them utilizing the space above the bed of a pickup truck for the inside bikes handlebars.

i am curious to see the antiwobble device the versahaul comes with. the one i got with mine does work, but it eventually moves around a little and doesn't seat like id like it too. it might work better once i notch out my receiver a little so it can fully seat where its supposed to. mine looks similar to the pic below, but only has 2 bolts instead of 3.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:26 PM   #54

Here's my bike carrier. I got it on Amazon for less than $200 a few years ago and have done 2 cross country trips with it, no problem. I did add brake lights to it and skid strips to the loading ramp.

It has the same anti-rattle as Shenrie, above.

As I'm only 2 wheel drive I'm not overly concerned with departure angle.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:58 PM   #55

I used to have a bike carrier on my Dodge Caravan with an XR650R on the back. Talk about low rider!

BTW, I'd like to hear experiences with the anti-wobble devices.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #56

I've got a Versahaul as well. No spare mounted right now as I have the Sportsmobile one that attaches to the rear door and the 33" tire isn't fitting with the bumper. I'm thinking I will drill the bar to move the tire up. Fabricating a plate is an idea as well.

What I'm wondering is why Aluminess hasn't come up with a passenger door spare tire holder yet? It would make putting the motorcycle on much easier. I really don't want to back my moto up onto the Versahaul to use it with the spare on the driver's side. My Husky weighs more than I do.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
What I'm wondering is why Aluminess hasn't come up with a passenger door spare tire holder yet? It would make putting the motorcycle on much easier. I really don't want to back my moto up onto the Versahaul to use it with the spare on the driver's side. My Husky weighs more than I do.
I'm pretty sure if you call and ask them, they will make it. They probably don't make it as a regular item since you would have to open the tire carrier every time you wanted to open the rear doors. With it being on the driver's side, the passenger side door can open without opening the tire carrier.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #58

Can you just unbolt the rail (or wheel stop) on the Versahaul and spin it 180* so that the front of the bike is at the passenger side instead? I know that could affect loading/unloading if you have to be parked in the street/ parallel to a curb (since you'd have to roll the bike up from the traffic side) but it might be an option?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #59

Nope the Versahaul is pre drilled for stop and ramp. Looks like I can disassemble the rack and turn it around on the main tube.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #60

You could get a 10" hitch extension and then the VH can be loaded normally. You want to secure the load with anti-wobble devices and maybe a ratchet strap from the end of the rack back to the base of the hitch. Worked for mine.