Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2019, 08:03 AM   #1

How much does your van weigh? Figuring out towing capacity for a new boat.

I’m going to buy a boat soon and had to figure out how much I’m able to tow within capacity.
My Ford E350 extended wagon has a GCWR (combined weight rating of truck and trailer) of 13,000 lbs.
The maximum trailer weight is 6,500 lbs.
Which means in order to pull the maximum load, within specs, my van would have to weight 6,500 lbs.
13,000 combined - 6,500 max trailer = 6,500 van.
So I took my van to a CAT scale at a truck stop yesterday and weighed it. Full tank of gas, spare tire, heavy jack stand, just the bare necessities.
I weighed in at 6,520 lbs! Pretty much spot on in order to haul the 6,500 maximum trailer weight.
I realize that my van will weigh more with people and gear, but my boat and trailer combo should only weigh roughly 5,000 to 5,500 lbs. so I will have 1,000 to 1,500 lb buffer room for gear and piece of mind.
My van has a Agile 4x4 conversion which probably adds a little weight but I removed all the back seats and those suckers were heavy. I don’t plan on hauling any more than 1 person in the passenger seat.
For you people who like numbers: my van has a GVWR of 9,100 lbs. So if my van was fully loaded to capacity I would only be able to haul a 3,900 lb trailer.
13,000 combined - 9,100 van = 3,900 trailer.
They say to buy your second boat first, and I’m following that rule with this boat purchase. I was initially going to buy a little 14’ boat but realized I would grow out of it too soon. I found me a 30’ parking spot for the boat and with keeping the 6,500 lb trailer weight in mind, I will be able to get a 23-25’ boat and still be within specs.

JamesO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #2

Engine , gearing, and tire size?
Old 06-25-2019, 11:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
engine , gearing, and tire size?
5.4 l, 4.10, 285/70/17
Old 06-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
5.4 l, 4.10, 285/70/17
While this gives you almost the same effective ratio as 3.73 gears with stock tires, the GCWR is still the same with that combo, so I think your math works out. Of course, the extra rotating mass will make things feel more sluggish, but you could always re-gear later if you aren't happy with performance.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:52 PM   #5

Garage
Geez, gotta ask... what boat are you getting? Us self-admitted boat nuts gotta know! Photos preferred.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Geez, gotta ask... what boat are you getting? Us self-admitted boat nuts gotta know! Photos preferred.

Going to get a Cuddy Cabin. Looking at a Bayliner Capri, maxum, blue water... not too picky about make as long as I find a boat in good shape.
I was first wanting an open bow but I realized it will mostly be me and my girlfriend and we would rather have the cabin that more floor space.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #7

I like the Bayliner Trophy - been a long time since so have looked.

What are the anticipated uses for the boat?
Old 06-25-2019, 01:29 PM   #8

Garage
Sounds great! Those cuddy’s are terrific and allow for some privacy. My buddy just bought a used Bayliner cheap and installed a new engine. Nice boats. You’ll have a blast!

I have the regular body of the 5.4. You didn’t ask for advice, but I’ll give one little piece... don’t get too big a boat if you’re planning on launching and retrieving a lot. Boat ramps can be a real pita in direct proportion to the size of the boat. I had a 4K lb cuddy a few years ago and ended up just mooring it in the river.

Enough advice, here’s my latest, after a fifty-year romance with boats: It’s a 22ft Weldcraft all aluminum. 2K lbs, 22.5ft Great for my river. And no, I don’t fish.
Attached Thumbnails
F4340F8B-5870-4A5D-A9B1-71E0B9E1A4E6.jpg  
Old 06-25-2019, 01:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
I like the Bayliner Trophy - been a long time since so have looked.

What are the anticipated uses for the boat?
Due to the storage facility where I have my boat parking, Im not allowed to store anything over 94” tall. Those trophy’s are real tall boats. I have noticed a few since I’ve started my boat search.
I’m not much into fishing, this will be more of a pleasure boat. Pulling tubes, cruising around the Columbia River here in Portland, OR.
I think the cuddy’s check all the boxes for my anticipated use.. unless I end up wanting to fish. It will do for fishing but they’re not really made for that.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:39 PM   #10

My 2001 E250 GTRV weighs in at about 8200lbs. As for Bayliners, I'm a former owner and a retired professional mariner. The saying goes, you get a lot of boat with a Bayliner, but you don't spend a lot of money. I took mine out the Golden gate a few times, but it scared me, so I decided to stick closer to home. They are much better river boats, but be sure to have it surveyed and pay particular attention to the transom, decks, deck fittings and engine bed stringers if it's an inboard. Any water that leaks into the core causes rot to form quickly.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote