Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #1

Hydralift - Motorcycle/MTB etc Carrier

http://www.hydralift-usa.com

Hi all, researched & found very little on using this lift on a Sportsmobile. Is it simply too heavy, even w/air bags ? I read in here somewhere that its not only the weight issue out-back, but that you have to think about all that "beauty" lightening the frontend, thereby hurting proformance of a 4x4 Sportsmobile.

I had a hydraulic lift on the back of one of my worktrucks years ago...it was great !!! Man, I could see custom trays & "whatnot" to the extreme level on this set up.

The lift would get a load nice & high so not to scrape...Up Up & Away...Nice !!!

My Rear Needs: 2 MTBs (in a covered box) & -500lb sport or adv motorcycle (wet). Yes, then is the Spare & recovery equipment. Im think'n max about 1250 lbs. So to be safe lets say, 1,500 lbs added to an 4x4 airbag aided big Ford, no go? Even without this lift, looks as though I've seen you folks with 1000 lbs back there. Whats the deal, my new friends

*still in design stage of my build, thank you for your input.

SkisPowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #2

Re: Hydralift - Motorcycle/MTB etc Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkisPowder
http://www.hydralift-usa.com

Hi all, researched & found very little on using this lift on a Sportsmobile. Is it simply too heavy, even w/air bags ? I read in here somewhere that its not only the weight issue out-back, but that you have to think about all that "beauty" lightening the frontend, thereby hurting proformance of a 4x4 Sportsmobile.

I had a hydraulic lift on the back of one of my worktrucks years ago...it was great !!! Man, I could see custom trays & "whatnot" to the extreme level on this set up.

The lift would get a load nice & high so not to scrape...Up Up & Away...Nice !!!

My Rear Needs: 2 MTBs (in a covered box) & -500lb sport or adv motorcycle (wet). Yes, then is the Spare & recovery equipment. Im think'n max about 1250 lbs. So to be safe lets say, 1,500 lbs added to an 4x4 airbag aided big Ford, no go? Even without this lift, looks as though I've seen you folks with 1000 lbs back there. Whats the deal, my new friends

*still in design stage of my build, thank you for your input.
I'm sure there is an owners manual or an engineer somewhere that can provide a credible answer, but from my experience 400-450 pounds is the limit. Anything close to 1,000 would be quite unsafe IMHO.

I often carry four MTBs or an xr400 on a hitch carrier. Total weight is at most 400 and the van's handling is significantly impacted.

R
Old 08-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #3

Part of this problem is tied to the van body, EB or RB?

For an RB, 1000# hanging out the back like that (assuming the added weight is centered ~16" behind the bumper) will take over 430# off the front axle and add more than 1430# to the rear axle. How much weight is on your rear axle? What is the axle rated for? What are your tires rated for? Chances are the rear axle will be well over it's rated load capacity.

For and EB, The weight shift is worse, 580# off the fronts and 1580# added to the rears.

Obviously, the weight shift is worse still for 1250# or 1500#, but you get the idea.

Not to mention the inertia the weight will add to the rear. Quick steering inputs could bring the rear around faster than you can scream 'NOOOOOOO'.

Or, nothing may happen. I've seen grossly overloaded pickups and vans driving around without problems. But, I always wonder what the insurance company will do after an accident when they discover the vehicle was overloaded.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #4

Thank you very much ! Yup, I'm Way over-the-top in my thinking here.

My name is Chris And I'm a gear-head And its a problem; you'll have to bare with me from time-to-time. 1500 lbs - blahaha ! Ya, I can deal with a reasonable + or - 400lb range.

I like the way you guys do it w/the the swing-away set up w/3 receivers. I can always do the trailer scene, if needed.

For me, its all about, in & out, on & off the beaten path. Long term MTB & Skiing USA/Canada in a high performance, geared up, pimped 4x4 Van with my dog and fishing pole. No need to push reasonable Specs right out of the gate. Thanks for bringing me back ... It's now Less lift, More gear !
SkisPowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #5

It's possible. The frame can handle it. But that will add much more than 1500 pounds to the rear axle. If you have a semi-float axle, no way. If you have the Dana 70, it may be possible if you have a lightweight buildout and you upgrade the rear tires and wheels. If your build-out is not lightweight, than a dually conversion might be necessary.

You will also need to add weight to the front end to prevent off-loading the steer axle. Turns out a Buckstop and 12k warn make a pretty good counterweight

It's actually amazing how much weight can end up on the rear axle. My last trip through the scales with the trailer hooked up scaled at 9800 pounds on the rear axle
Old 09-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
It's actually amazing how much weight can end up on the rear axle. My last trip through the scales with the trailer hooked up scaled at 9800 pounds on the rear axle
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote