Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
... ETrailer has great customer service...

That sure wasn't my experience. When I had a problem with a product I ordered from them within a week of receiving it, when I asked for an exchange they told me to contact the manufacturer for any warranty work.

Herb

Old 09-11-2019, 07:50 AM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
For something like this, where you aren't routinely removing it, I'd just go with some bolts, anti-seize and Ny-locks.

Keeping keyed pins outside full time without regular use, you're likely to find the seized up come time to unlock them.

I doubt anybody would steel the step, but for some reason, hitch pins do walk away shockingly often.
The bolts and some sort of locking nut(s) was my first thought as well. As we also agree there's little chance of someone stealing the step assembly but even so I'd like to at least be able to slow potential miscreants down a bit.

I like the B.O.L.T. stuff---would be very handy NOT keeping extra keys. Since I already hide an extra key on the frame I'd always have one. FWIW that's interesting the key learning feature works. If I go that route I'll find a why albeit messy to keep as much moisture as I can out of the lock cylinder, perhaps pack as much grease inside before placing the cover. Perhaps bit wrap or two of Gorilla Tape?

Even though I'm using a total of 4 hitch pins I could make do with only two. I've drilled and tapped 3/8-16 holes in the frame mounted receiver and another element which serve to stop the whole mess of tubes from rattling while driving. Along with jam nuts that's a fairly solid step at this moment---no rattles and very firm feeling under the feet. For the most part simply pulling the hitch pins doesn't let any part come easily loose so that's an added benefit in my mind.

Thanks guys---I've got this one mostly sorted and will report back if there's any interest in the B.O.L.T. locking hitch pins.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #13

Garage
That bolt setup is really cool. Wouldn’t work for my spare but would work for the other applications. Thanks for the info shadetree!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #14

Bolt

I use the BOLT system (hitch, pin and padlock) and I am satisfied. It really is nice to use one key for many different types of locks.
twotimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:54 PM   #15

I use a padlockable clevis pin and I have several padlocks that are keyed alike. Cheap and effective.
Attached Thumbnails
D276BA45-183E-4796-A720-739C56422A7C.jpg  
Old 09-16-2019, 05:01 AM   #16
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkkbven View Post
I use a padlockable clevis pin and I have several padlocks that are keyed alike. Cheap and effective.
That is cheap enough but as the lock would be constantly exposed to road muck I'd be concerned it would rust or corrode in place and not be removable should that ever be necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
I use the BOLT system (hitch, pin and padlock) and I am satisfied. It really is nice to use one key for many different types of locks.
How do you keep the key cylinder(s) of the BOLT stuff free of debris or rust-free? Most likely I'll use those but will also devise a way to keep the cylinder as dry as possible. Some sort of heavy plastic bag covering the lock and then cable tied to the hitch pin---easily ripped apart if necessary.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
For something like this, where you aren't routinely removing it, I'd just go with some bolts, anti-seize and Ny-locks.

Keeping keyed pins outside full time without regular use, you're likely to find the seized up come time to unlock them.
This. You might even be able to find a "security" head bolt in the correct size.

-Mike
FloridaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #18

I mounted some sand ladders to the side of my Jeep overland rig. I used some cheap Harbor Freight hitch pins to keep them from walking away (bolted through the ladders and mounts). So they are outside and have been exposed to the elements for six years - no problems, still work great. I happened to have some spare batteries for some Stinger flashlights that had a yellow, rubber protective cover on them. Those covers fit over the end of the hitch pins and protect the locking mechanism. I just spray them with WD-40 every year to keep them protected...
Kirk B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:04 AM   #19
JWA

Once I have the BOLT's in place I'll try remembering to check them for operation from time-to-time. I'm kinda convincing myself if I pack the cylinders with maybe a marine-type silicone grease and keep a plastic bag around them they should remain usable even if rarely removed.

Thanks guys---been a big help! Next up is how or can I stow my Hummer H1 scissor jack above the under body rear spare tire?