Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #31
Site Team

Re: Loaded Roof Rack on Pop Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv
...Sportsmobile might want to keep it out of circulation to avoid any future issues or mis understandings. I'll know more when I hear back from Peter.
That wouldn't surprise me. While the PH top is warranted for life, I believe it's only for the original purchaser of the top. Getting a cracked/defective top back into circulation could generate bad publicity for their top down the road, especially if it changes hands down the road.

Herb

Old 10-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #32

So with the electric top, will you use corner supports?

Just curious, do others with the electric top do so?

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #33

Our existing 2004 top has the fold down tubular corner supports. I didn't ask if the new one will have them. If that wasn't part of the plan, I will ask to have them installed. I think it would be a good idea for windy conditions. Thanks for bringing that up.
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #34

Garage

We have the electric top and we do use corner posts when our kayaks are on top. Not sure if they are needed, as we calculate the load to be about 130 lbs give or take, but it makes us feel better just in case. I've heard that the electric top will support somewhere between 150 and 200 lbs when raised.
I cut wooden dowels that I bought at Lowes and some square wood 'pads' to spread the load a little. Seems to work just fine and was fairly inexpensive.

Mike and Kris
Old 10-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #35
Site Team

Garage

I feel better using them in heavy snow.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #36

In my own ignorance, on our first road trip we travel to Lake Superior with two kayaks on top, both weighing in over 65 lbs. We have a power top and it got raised and lowered each day with the boats on top and no corner supports at night while I slept up there. Wonder if I should worry about getting crushed in the middle of the night? We were part of the campground tour, i should have took pictures.

This weekend we'll start to reduce the worry as we head to St Cloud to pick up a new Current Designs Solstice GTS kayak that weighs in right at 50 lbs at almost 18 feet long. I'll be ready for the SD Kayak Challenge this year solo and maybe MR 340 next year.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #37

If you have a newer SMB I would check into the lifetime warranty. I had my 2004 PH top replaced under the original lifetime warranty and was told by SMB Indiana my replacement top and all new tops only had a 5 year warranty. However, I did get the updated design that is lighter and only has 3 holes going through compared to the older tops that had several so I'm not concerned about leaks anymore. Besides, my top apparently was defective from the beginning.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #38

I talked to Peter and apparently they no longer install the corner supports. He did say that they would move the corner supports from our existing top to the new top.
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:10 PM   #39

I just bought a defender roof rack for my 2005 SMB and need to adjust the springs- the rack weight about 100#s. I know there are lots of threads on the topic- does anyone have pictures of the adjustment process? any pointers would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Jmtrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:16 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmtrump
I just bought a defender roof rack for my 2005 SMB and need to adjust the springs- the rack weight about 100#s. I know there are lots of threads on the topic- does anyone have pictures of the adjustment process? any pointers would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Lots of info here if you haven't seen it. I liked Larrie's video on page 3. If you have a come along it's an easy mod. If you're fairly handy you can do it in a half hour. with no other tools necessary.

viewtopic.php?p=8873#p8873

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote