Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #21

Re: Motorcycle Carriers

AHuey, that's exactly what I'm going to do. I ordered the same carrier a few days ago. Can you take some more pic's when you get time.
One thing I did notice is that you left just the center tie down points. The bike will be far more secure if added some tie down points to the new bars, that way the bike will be pulled directly down at the front and back, and not towards the center. Not sure if you can still do that though, since the new bars are not as long as the original center one.

BTW, the WR is a far better bike.

SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #22

Here are some more photos. I tried it out over the past week, I travelled about 220 miles to Kamloops (from Vancouver) to buy a used 2009 Kawasaki KLX250S (I would have gone for a WR250R, but they are hard to find used). We took advantage of the trip to do some come camping after we picked up the bike. The carrier was rock solid and worked well - and as Sheepshagger mentioned it could use some extra tie-down points - I'll get some welded on - then it'll be perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
MC_Hitch_Carrier_B 001_converted.gif   MC_Hitch_Carrier_B 003_converted.gif   MC_Hitch_Carrier_B 004_converted.gif  
AHuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #23

Here are a couple of photos with the bike loaded on the rack,........
Attached Thumbnails
MC_Hitch_Carrier_B 005_converted.gif   MC_Hitch_Carrier_B 006_converted.gif  
Old 07-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #24

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Man, thats awesome!

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #25

I've got a GTRV and have been mulling over solutions to carry my DRZ400. Roy is top notch! That guy does amazing things. When I saw pictures of that unit my decision was made.

Thanks for those!
Jepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #26

Thanks for the extra pic's AHuey, that really is a great setup. Mine came in the other day, I put one of my bikes on it to size it up, I really dislike the center tiedown points, but that will be fixed once I copy your setup. Also kind-a disappointed in the length, I was hoping it would be a bit longer so I could make more use of it with some of my larger bikes. But I'm sure I can get a longer rail welded up soon, I just need the extra two receiver hitch's done ASAP, as I'm off on a trip in a week.

One thing you may want to invest in, is a fork brace for towing. See the orange + shaped item between my front wheel and fender, with that, you can tie town the bike very securely and not worry about pooping a fork seal because you've pulled it down too far.

But the backup cam is located perfectly so I can keep an eye on it while driving.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #27

Here's my rack with the additional tie-down loops welded on,... makes it more stable and quicker to strap down. Now I have 6 tie-down points for the bike, makes for a lot more "piece of mind" when bombing down the freeway or bumpy roads.
Attached Thumbnails
MC_Hitch_Carrier_Loops_converted.gif  
Old 01-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #28

Send a message via MSN to SuperSuz

I've had two haulers on van now and did off road with both of them. The last one was the Aluminum on metal for the hitch. It sat the bike (249 lbs. dry) at the bumper level. When I was done, it was at an angle, and the left side became saggy at about the exhaust pipe level. More tie downs on the bumper helped. Careful not to ding up the back door when the handlebar or lever bangs into it on the washboards.

Made it to Gonzaga bay and Guadelupe Canyon!

I'm thinking about a small 4 wheeler trailer instead or a way to raise the bike above the bumper so that it does not extend the overall length of the van. That hauler sucks on ditches, washes, and rural Utah gas station curbs.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger
Thanks for the extra pic's AHuey, that really is a great setup.

But the backup cam is located perfectly so I can keep an eye on it while driving.
Yeah. That's the style that was beat up. I paid 100 used for it in the Bay Area, CA
Old 04-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #30

Anyone ever use the HIGH-LOW hitch extenders with their hauler? What kind, how many inches? I want to raise my hauler with one.

Thanks, Suz