Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #1

Need hitch to stick out farther

I've got a stock rear bumper (the shame of it ) and a DrawTite 2 inch receiver hitch bolted onto the frame. The receiver is only about 6 inches back from the rearmost bolt on the frame.

I can't find dimensions on the net for these things but I feel sure there are hitches that push that receiver farther back so it sticks out more from the bumper. Does anyone know of a brand that has more distance in this area?

Thanks

Tom

bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #2

Re: Need hitch to stick out farther

Tom ,
I have the Auminess Bumpers and needed an additional 3" for the Bow of the Bay Ranger to clear the Aluminess Deluxe Box . I first tried to move my Class 5 Hitch to no avail as it was at the maximum mounting spot . So I extended my Draw Bars by 3 " . In your case you might go to a certified Trailer Hitch installation shop and see if the hitch can be relocated or altered .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #3

Do a web search for 'Hitch Extension' and you will find many sources. Be aware that adding length to you hitch will reduce the load capacity.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #4

Thanks. I have a hitch extension. It works but there is a lot of play in the system and it does decrease the tongue weight by 1/3 (500 to 333 lbs).

I was hoping to firm things up a bit.....on the van.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #5

You can eliminate the play from the extender (or most any hitch).

I made a steel insert for my hitch, pressed it into place - where the pin would go - and then drilled and tapped it for a 5/8" bolt. I may have had to enlarge the frame mounted part so the bolt would go in. Now, I tighten that bolt very tight and the hitch never moves. I used the same idea on a rear cargo box when I had one, and it never moved either. If the extender is thick enough (greater than 1/4" thick) you could probably just drill and tap it.

I used a stainless steel allen headed bolt. It uses a 1/2" allen wrench and I see that as a little added security, since I don't lock it. On the side that came through the hitch I turned the bolt down and put a groove for a hairpin style cotter pin, so if the bolt ever came loose, it wouldn't fall out.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 08-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
You can eliminate the play from the extender (or most any hitch).

I made a steel insert for my hitch, pressed it into place - where the pin would go - and then drilled and tapped it for a 5/8" bolt. I may have had to enlarge the frame mounted part so the bolt would go in. Now, I tighten that bolt very tight and the hitch never moves. I used the same idea on a rear cargo box when I had one, and it never moved either. If the extender is thick enough (greater than 1/4" thick) you could probably just drill and tap it.

I used a stainless steel allen headed bolt. It uses a 1/2" allen wrench and I see that as a little added security, since I don't lock it. On the side that came through the hitch I turned the bolt down and put a groove for a hairpin style cotter pin, so if the bolt ever came loose, it wouldn't fall out.

Mike
Hi Mike

Thanks for the tip. I like that idea but I'm really hesitant to change out a hitch pin with a bolt. I just don't know, with certainty, that a bolt has the same strength. Do you know? I don't want to take a chance only to find out that my trailer came loose because I decided to substitute a bolt for something designed to hold the hitch. It may be that a stainless, or a #5 or #8 bolt are much stronger than a hitch pin of the same diameter but I'd need some type of confirmation.

Any engineers willing to venture an opinion?

Tom
Old 08-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #7

I suspect the strength of the pin won't be the critical factor.

The standard pin is totally in shear on both sides. When the hitch is bolted in place, the friction between the hitch and the bracket will hold the hitch in place. The bolt is supplying the clamping force to lock the hitch in place. If the bolt comes loose, then it will either be in shear on one side or both depending on exactly how you machine the hitch and the bolt. And, if the bolt comes loose, you will hear and feel the 'clanking' as the hitch moves back and forth. I really don't miss that sound at all.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper