Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #51

Re: Pics of what you tow with your Sportsmobile

Touché ! Lol

Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:27 PM   #52

Even with a 5.4 it tows like a dream..
Old 08-25-2014, 11:45 PM   #53

Cool vw
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:44 AM   #54

Pics of our old toad vs the rebuilt toad. In reality with the room we have in the van and now only two of us we have very little need for a supply trailer. So, we store it our daughters and her family uses it.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #55

Chevy Citation FTW (for the win)
Old 08-26-2014, 08:38 AM   #56

I love those old camping pics Len. I have all of these pics in my head of similar trips with my family, but no real trip pics that I can find!

I can close my eyes and imagine it though. 1978 red Volvo boxy wagon (240?) with that same Grumman canoe on top and a god-awful looking single rail motorcycle trailer my Dad used to pull around and use for everything. Bikes, chairs, and everything else strapped to it like the Beverly Hillbillies old car. Good times............
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #57

We used to always take sides, cheaper then pics. We had LOTS of reals that we had not looked at in years. Just a couple of years ago we took ALL of them over to Costco and got them digitized and put on CD's. Then able to give each kid a set of CD's with 30 years worth of slides on them. Much easier to pull up and view, like I grabbed those two old ones. That Grumman was a 18 footer. I would get 2" shorter every time I had to portage it between lakes but for the 4 of us it was great.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:38 PM   #58

Garage

Here's what I tow, all with a 5.4l. It is a 28' Princecraft Versailles LP-SS pontoon boat.
It makes my van look small.
Cheers
Darryl

4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #59

Garage

I need to ask those here what I might be missing - I tow the rig shown and on passes my oil temp recently hit 230F from a steady 195-200F on the freeway. The fan comes on but the 'feel' is too hot to ignore for long.

My 07 RB50, 6.0 PSD with a 97 Ski Nautique (looks close to Jwinterstellars rig). Usually I only tow locally to launch and retrieve the boat at the beginning and end of the seasons so I hadn't noticed this until last weekend. We went over to eastern WA in mild weather (60-70F). On our route we hit 3 passes, not high, with not hot ambient temps. Two of the passes allow me to keep the rig in OD most of the way, one does not - so I switch off OD and slow to 50 or so. Once in OD the oil temp ramps right up to 230, fan kicks in. On the other passes the temps stabilize at 210-215 but will creep up to the fan on setting of 230 by the top of the pass. I cant imagine running that hot for long, nor can I imagine trying to pull this setup over a larger pass in hot weather as found in the southland.

The coolant temps run 6F lower than the oil, and on the downhill side temps drop right off to the normal ranges telling me the oil cooler isn't plugged and the cooling system can drop heat when the loads are reduced.

I am monitoring the temps with a scan gauge II. The van has stock bumpers, a billet grille, the newer OEM oil cooler, Bullet Proof Diesel EGR cooler, a coolant filter, mild towing power tune, 4" exhaust from the body floor level back. I have not changed or moved any other system coolers. If any other info is needed let me know.

It looks to me like similar and bigger loads are being pulled, in hotter climates --- so what mods have been done, or how hot do you all get? Thanks in advance, Matt.[photo][/photo]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 317a.pdf (2.17 MB, 37 views)
dar636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:51 AM   #60

dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote