Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2018, 04:19 PM   #191
Wbp

Loaded for Bugs

Headed to the keys.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	22213

Wbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:21 AM   #192

Seems redundant. Certainly not going to be the norm for me, but the new tow vehicle isn't quite ready yet for this weekends trip.

I'm curious what you all do that tow travel trailers with short tongues with propane mounted on the front and have SMB bumpers with tire and box on the back. I had to remove spare tire and box in order to attach the trailer. Just not enough clearance otherwise. Hope I don't get a flat this weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9817.jpg  

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #193

Wow, I'm surprised so many of you regulars have bought TT's to add to the vans but it sounds like you have your reasons. We loved our motorhome but recently sold it. It sat for a full year. My wife and I took a summer trip this year and the van while the MH sat and we didn't need any more than it provided, except 4x4. I'm staying simple.......for today.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:06 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Wow, I'm surprised so many of you regulars have bought TT's to add to the vans but it sounds like you have your reasons. We loved our motorhome but recently sold it. It sat for a full year. My wife and I took a summer trip this year and the van while the MH sat and we didn't need any more than it provided, except 4x4. I'm staying simple.......for today.

Ha - This was my wife's and my review of how we travel, what works, and what doesn't. She has been a trooper for the last 30 years, but as we age (Ok, as I age. She said she doesn't age) she wants some creature comforts and travel in a base camp scenario with a vehicle to wander around in during the days. The van is my baby and it's not going away! Most trips with wife will now be in the trailer. Guy trips and solo trips will primarily be in the van.

We are taking the trailer to Canada for a couple weeks in September. This will be our first long trip with a trailer. If we hate it, there will be a lightly used Retro 189R for sale!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:07 PM   #195
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
Seems redundant. Certainly not going to be the norm for me, but the new tow vehicle isn't quite ready yet for this weekends trip.

I'm curious what you all do that tow travel trailers with short tongues with propane mounted on the front and have SMB bumpers with tire and box on the back. I had to remove spare tire and box in order to attach the trailer. Just not enough clearance otherwise. Hope I don't get a flat this weekend!
Can you use a hitch extender?

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Curt...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Attached Thumbnails
hitch extender.JPG  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:57 PM   #196

Hitch extenders dont work well with weight distribution. Besides massive capacity reductions, you end up with a ton of slop. I tried it in the dealer parking lot and quickly realized it's a no go.

What does work is simply a longer shank, however many TTs will still need the propane tanks shifted back. Mine was adjusted for me during a hard right turn. Sounded like an explosion when the tie down screw tore out of the base plate. Just a small a small adjustment rearward was all I needed, when combined with the long hitch shank.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Well, we’ve gone and done it now.....
Wow, That's quite a change. If your planning anything other than wide, smooth, paved roads, I'd be looking at beefing up the suspension (in addition to a lift) In all my years traveling the highway to Alaska, I saw plenty of trailers on the side of the road or in shops getting tires, wheels and axles replaced. Fortunately, pretty much every repair place along the way is equipped with spare parts, including axles (that tells me something) Remember the guy in Baja last year that didn't even have a wheel or even springs left on his trailer? Ramsey had the same problem a few years back too, he may have been traveling too fast, but shit happens.
I think I'd look into heavy duty everything underneath, and at least two spare tires. In addition, many years ago, my neighbor towed his to Alaska and discovered that all the drawers self destructed along the way, so some way to make sure they stay positively closed would be a good idea (some form of positive latch for each one) Once you have the suspension beefed up and the interior secured you should be golden.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #198
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Pics of what you tow with your Sportsmobile

If you’re talking about beefing up the suspension on the rig, there’s not much more I can do that’s not been done, short of adding air bags, which are sitting in the garage if needed. If you’re talking about the suspension on the trailer, there’s not much I can do other than the lift blocks. Lances, as well as Airstreams and some others run Dexter torflex torsion axles, a whole different animal from traditional axles with leaf springs that can be flipped, beefed up or for that matter, field fixed or swapped out. They say they’re maintenance free, here’s to hoping they’re as durable too.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #199
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
... If you’re talking about the suspension on the trailer, there’s not much I can do other than the lift blocks. Lances, as well as Airstreams and some others run Dexter torflex torsion axles, a whole different animal from traditional axles with leaf springs that can be flipped, beefed up or for that matter, field fixed or swapped out. They say they’re maintenance free, here’s to hoping they’re as durable too.
FWIW, Dexter Torflex Lift Kit. No experience with this.

https://www.crofttrailer.com/k71-707...torflex-axles/

Herb
Old 08-18-2018, 03:07 PM   #200
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post

So I was also worried about this too. I was able to tow the trailer on its maiden voyage down to the dealership successfully. There was definitely going to be clearance issues if I were to go full lock though. The previous owner had a weight distribution hitch that was thrown in with sale, so that helped moving things further back a bit, but needed more for long term to clear the tire and box. The dealership is supposed to have a few longer shaft hitches for me to check out that are compatible with the distribution hitch, depending on the new drop needed with the lift, we shall see. I wouldn’t recommend a hitch extender for towing these things.
This is what I have....
Fastway e2 2-Point Sway Contol Trunnion Hitch, 92-00-1065, 10,000 Lbs Trailer Weight Rating, 1,000 Lbs Tongue Weight Rating, Weight Distribution Kit Includes Standard Hitch Shank, Ball IS Included https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDMEUJM..._FNiEBbJXC83FQ
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote