Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #21

Re: Pikes Peak off road Trailers

Hey guys. I have been doing some thinking on this subject and for the SMB community, I am leaning towards a design along these lines due to the increased size of the SMB tow vehicle. Also, please see the questions at the bottom of the thread. Most of these changes I can do at no cost since I have material drops from the 3x5 design that come out of 4x8 source materials. In other words, the raw steel costs won't be much, if any, more. Some other items, I need to look into (8 bolt hubs, etc.) to see 1) Where I can find them and 2) if they cost significantly more than my current spec'ed items.

NOTIONAL SMB PIKES PEAK TRAILER SPEC
-4x6' cargo box, 24" tall (48cf). This provides nearly double the cargo space of our standard design (26cf).
-3,500 axle, 48" spring perches, 63" hub faces
-8 bolt Ford rims with AT tires in roughly 33x10.50 size
-Shocks
-Hydraulic assisted lid with Thule/Yakima rack rails
-I am trying to track down Ford 8 bolt hubs now
-All 16g diamond plate deck and sides. Lid is made from 16g sheet steel with 1x1" supports
-All topside metal surfaces are primed with an with an acid etch liner
-All topside metal surfaces are sprayed with a 2k Black Urethane Bedliner (UPOL Raptor).
-The bottom is sprayed with rust inhibitor
-6 interior tie down points
-6 tie down points on the lid
-4 llid lock locations (one on each corner) to place a padlock
-Internal drain valve for washdowns

QUESTIONS / COMMENTS
1) I can build a locking tool storage area on the tongue but it would probably be cheaper for me to build a platform to place a pre-built one on and then the user can use the tool storage container of their choice (e.g. Ammo can, Store bought tool box, etc.). Let me know what you guys think. I can do it but it would add a little bit of fab and material time. Building the tongue mount is free. See pic below.

2) Considering the rear departure angle of the SMBs and the need for a nose-mounted tool area, the only feasible place to locate a spare would be on the rear of the trailer. This is doable, I just need to counterbalance this additional weight by adding a lead ingot to the tongue. Otherwise, without enough weight on the tongue, the trailer will sway and become dangerous to pull. Let me if a spare is needed or if you can use the spare from your SMB (if needed).

3) Do you guys desire a high lift jack mount?

4) Do you guys desire quick-grip mounts for holding tools: shovel, axe, etc?

5) Do SMBs use 8x6.5 or the 8x170 bolt pattern? Or both?

6) I can fab a rear door to allow access when the lid is closed but unless the roof stored items weigh more than, say 50lbs, you will still be able to open the lid (assuming the items can handle being rotated near 90degrees. This said, you may want to access commonly used items while the top lid is locked. Let me think about this more and sketch out some ideas.

7) Is everyone good with BFG ATs as the tire?

That's all for now. Once we get the basic specs worked out, I will build a model in Google Sketchup. In the mean time, let's keep the dialogue going so that the requirements can be fully flushed out.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #22

Dave,

Lots of good ideas here. Let me tell you what SMB did with the trailers they used to sell.

Tires/wheels - 8x6.5. Stock Ford steel rims, 245/75-16 tires. Upgrades to any other combo at buyer's option and cost. There was some discount for not using their wheels/tires as I supplied my own.

Tire clearance tubs were inside the trailer body, tires essentially flush with outside of the body. More work than tires outside the body and a flat rectangular floor in the trailer.

Yakima or Thule tracks - Optional extra

Trailer lid - Optional extra

Electric brakes - Optional extra

Tongue jack - standard

Color matched - Optional extra

Other options were available.

Basically, they offered a base trailer at a set price and the options could easily raise the price to nearly double the base price. Makes alot of sense. Nobody has to pay for things they don't want or need, yet nearly anything a customer wanted was available.

The SMB trailer had 36" 3000# springs and a very stiff ride unless completely loaded. After using the trailer for awhile I opted to have the AT air suspension system installed a great improvement.

Good luck with making a nice, little trailer for use with SMB's. It is nice to have one available again.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #23

Thanks Mike.

Great Info!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #24
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Dave, that all sounds great. I like the larger size and specs.
1) I found some locking tool boxes that will work.
2) I would want the rear door access*, so adding a spare might not be possible in the end.
3) I personally have my jack mounted on the van so don't need one on the trailer, others might, so that might be on the option list
4) grips, yes
5) I think I have 8x6.5 and run 285/75/16 so fenders would have to be made to accomodate these and sometimes larger.
6) *rear door, something to think about, door and hinges be below or flush with the deck floor, weather proof and lockable. I know Mike, you had a post a while back about the design flaws of the SMB trailer, this being one of them. I will look for it and post it here. Also, when dropped, being able to use it as a table, so some cables to attach to body.
7) BFG A/T is good, although I may want to run the same tires/wheels as on my SMB just to be able to swap, then I wouldn't need to carry a spare on the trailer. So keep it open for owner supplied wheel/tire combos, as people run many different combos and would want to match them up. I know Chris always carries 2 spares because of his experience, and we met someone while down in Baja years ago that had one tire at the shop and then blew another! So I may have to rethink wanting to have an extra spare! on hold for now.

Another note: 12V options, we may want to put in a deep cycle and some 12V outlets in/out to run for example, an Engle cooler fridge, solar options? water? propane tank? AT has some brackets for these items for sale, just dreaming...

Dave, are you able to remove the top completely, by removing the pins from the hinges to be able to use the trailer topless, (no jokes please!)
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #25

Just a note, while many of the SMBs are Ford 8x6.5 many are also 8x170mm Superduty. When you're checking into axle patterns for matching/spares it's a good thing to keep in mind.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Just a note, while many of the SMBs are Ford 8x6.5 many are also 8x170mm Superduty. When you're checking into axle patterns for matching/spares it's a good thing to keep in mind.
Copy.

I should have some idea on the hub availability tomorrow.

I have started sketching out a SMB PPT model in Sketchup and will share when it gets to an appropriate point.

D.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #27

Rear door access would mitigate the need for a drain cock, mainly in the trailer above I imagined trying to sop a busted gallon of water out, and imagined having to tip the trailer since it's water tight- the rear door would allow draining of incidental fluids, and also hosing down etc.

Also Rick and I talked today about the power, and we were wondering if a 12v accessory plug can be powered from a 7-pin wiring harness. That way when connected you could power an engle or whatever when hooked up, and add a battery system at a later date, if needed. I know you're used to Jeeps which have a 4-pin if you're lucky...

Also, about the rear door, I'm a spare on the neck kind of guy, so personally I'd want the spare in front where it wouldn't tip the trailer when empty, wouldn't block the rear gate, and... well, would maybe make it impossible to add a tongue box later, but hey, can't have everything right?

Old 01-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #28

Hi guys - I just wanted to send an update. I am still trying to find a solution to allow a Ford bolt pattern on the axles I use. Also, I had 2 orders come in over the Holiday break and am on travel so I have not had as much time to do as much R&D as needed.

I will have an answer on the bolt pattern ASAP and I am building a Google SketchUp model showing as many of the ideas as I can that you guys are raising (E.g. front mount tire, rear door, etc.). As soon as I have any info worth passing along and/or the model complete, I will post.

In the mean time, if anyone has any more comments/features/requests that would help me design something that supports the SMB community better, please post them and I will do my best to incorporate into a design model that we can view and discuss.

More to come soon....

Dave.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #29

Maybe as you know there are some tongue boxes available. Maybe that would help balance a rear spare tire.
Balance is good. Sway is bad.
I have a three rail m/c trailer. It disappears behind the van - I cant see it, which also makes it hard to back up.
To me width is crucial so you can at least see the tires/fenders while driving - and backing up.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #30

I got a great RTT that would be perfect for a Pikes Peak Trailer

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6003

The tent design is a little different than your standard RTT and was made specifically to be used with trailers.