Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2016, 04:16 AM   #51

My question is how do these racks loaded full of bikes pushed 2'-3' off the rear of an extended van ride? Thats a lot of weight extended from the rear axle. Does it increase the sway a lot??

jydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta825 View Post
How's the swing out work with the spare/box? Can you open both sides with the bikes loaded up? Been eyeing the Recon Rack since i saw a few last summer
If you could snap a shot of the side view that would be terrific
Thanks a Ton
-d

Sorry still no photos, but I can open everything up with bikes loaded, obviously 150lbs of bikes on a full rack is a bit heavy so it takes a little effort, but is totally manageable.

My only complaint is with not bikes loaded, I cannot open the galley box unless I swing out the whole unit. Still thinking about a solution for that.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #53

I used to use a kuat (2 bike) rack with either an 8" or 12" hitch extender (12" if I wanted to open the back doors with rack tilted, 8" if not). I also used a basic u-bolt stabilizer and also had considerable side-to-side play. I used a pretty cheap and simple solution. I bought a pack of wood shims. Using a rubber mallet I hammered in a wood shim on one side of the hitch receiver/extender connection after pushing the rack in the opposite direction. This totally eliminated the side to side play. Keep the rest of the shim pack. Eventually the wooden shim will get compressed or broken (usually when removing) so just switch to a new shim on the next trip. I never had the shim fail while installed (Texas->Montana->Texas and Texas->California->Texas trips along with many local Texas trips).

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven3 View Post
3- There is significant play where the hitch extender goes into my receiver. I tried a blue ox hitch stabilizer, but there is not enough clearance between the van receiver and the rear bumper above it for it to fit, so I used a basic u-bolt type stabilizer that I could get to fit, but still have considerable side-to-side play in the connection. Does anyone know of a more bomber hitch stabilizer that may work in this confined.
skijunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:21 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijunkie View Post
I used to use a kuat (2 bike) rack with either an 8" or 12" hitch extender (12" if I wanted to open the back doors with rack tilted, 8" if not). I also used a basic u-bolt stabilizer and also had considerable side-to-side play. I used a pretty cheap and simple solution. I bought a pack of wood shims. Using a rubber mallet I hammered in a wood shim on one side of the hitch receiver/extender connection after pushing the rack in the opposite direction. This totally eliminated the side to side play. Keep the rest of the shim pack. Eventually the wooden shim will get compressed or broken (usually when removing) so just switch to a new shim on the next trip. I never had the shim fail while installed (Texas->Montana->Texas and Texas->California->Texas trips along with many local Texas trips).
One key consideration for this route is if you have a shower port inside the rear doors of your rig. That is the primary reason I sought a solution which would swing completely out of the way. I was fighting to use my shower with my old rack back there, even though I could open the doors up just fine with it swung down.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:39 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by prally View Post
If the wheels were straight, then this would be a no brainer yes. The wheels hold the rider at high speeds and over all types of terrain. In order to make the handlebars clear though, this rack has angled the front wheel creating a bit more lateral strain than normal. For mountain bikes with much wider/stronger rims, this is not an issue. I would be a bit more cautious using this rack with a road bike though.

I don't have any open photos, I'll post some though when I can. I can assure you though that the rack clears the box and tire perfectly.

As for locking the bikes. I lock them to the receiver with a chain or cable depending on where I am and how long the bike(s) may be unattended. No issues, but the distance is a bit far, so make sure the chain or cable is not swinging against your bikes, etc.
Hey Kids! Its actually a pretty common misconception that the bikes are pulling down on the wheels and that could fold a wheel in half or something.
No.
There is actually absolutely NO strain on the wheel. All of the stress is directly on the top of the wheel, between the tire and the fork. Its the same amount of stress as the bike sitting on the ground with its own weight pushing down on it. I.E....resting against a wall. For a better understanding, next time you see one of our racks with bikes in it, walk up and poke one of the tires at the front of the rack with a finger. You'll see it bounces away from the rack with no effort.
Cannondale race team uses our racks for both the Enduro and the road race teams. They have spendy wheels and carbon forks. Kona and Rocky Mountain race teams also have Recon racks.

And while there are serious stresses to carrying 6 bikes...keep in mind that these are shuttle racks. Primarily designed for getting heavy downhill bikes to the tops of literal mountains. I personally shuttle the most ridiculous "roads" I can find because that's where the least amount of humans are, and other than the heavy load of 5-6 bikes and 5-6 people, there's no other noticeable handling characteristics. That's on a Nissan Pathfinder. A heavy van isn't going to know its even back there.
Thanks guys!
Recon Rack Co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #56

Garage
Good to know!
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon Rack Co View Post
Hey Kids! Its actually a pretty common misconception that the bikes are pulling down on the wheels and that could fold a wheel in half or something.
No.
There is actually absolutely NO strain on the wheel. All of the stress is directly on the top of the wheel, between the tire and the fork. Its the same amount of stress as the bike sitting on the ground with its own weight pushing down on it. I.E....resting against a wall. For a better understanding, next time you see one of our racks with bikes in it, walk up and poke one of the tires at the front of the rack with a finger. You'll see it bounces away from the rack with no effort.
Cannondale race team uses our racks for both the Enduro and the road race teams. They have spendy wheels and carbon forks. Kona and Rocky Mountain race teams also have Recon racks.

And while there are serious stresses to carrying 6 bikes...keep in mind that these are shuttle racks. Primarily designed for getting heavy downhill bikes to the tops of literal mountains. I personally shuttle the most ridiculous "roads" I can find because that's where the least amount of humans are, and other than the heavy load of 5-6 bikes and 5-6 people, there's no other noticeable handling characteristics. That's on a Nissan Pathfinder. A heavy van isn't going to know its even back there.
Thanks guys!
do you have better pictures of the 'Swinger System Upgrade' in action?
as much as i love my Northshore NRS6, i'm ready to dump it in favor for a R5 Shuttle Rack. I need better access to rear of my van.
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:58 AM   #58

Ok, I promise I will get some photos this weekend of the swing out. It is a thing of beauty and grace!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:13 AM   #59

found some pictures of the swing out on their facebook page. is yours 1 of the 2 they talk about? would be great to see photos with the bike rack on it extended out.
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos View Post
found some pictures of the swing out on their facebook page. is yours 1 of the 2 they talk about? would be great to see photos with the bike rack on it extended out.
Ok, here we go! Better late than never!